Hot paint tip

Spraying with aerosols in this weather invariably gives poor results, so many years ago now, I had an idea. Even a full can on a cold day will benefit from the hot water treatment. Obviously, as it is full, a small amount of hand hot water in a jug - just enough to float the tin - is sufficiuent. Take out & shake regularly to ensure even temperature spread. Spray until the tin is half empty. Stand the tin in the jug again & pour in enough hot water to float the tin again. Me, I use boiling water at this stage.

When spraying, wrap the tin in a cloth to preserve your poor shrinking flesh & keep the tin as hot as you can as it will cool rapidly as the paint expands out of the nozzle.

It is also a useful trick in clearing otherwise unclearable nozzles when the tin is annoyingly half used.

Whilst adding that there is obviously some danger in doing this, I bet the manufacturers build in a safety margin! I have been doing this for at least ten years, entirely without incident and have found, it gives a very considerable increase in pressure, the paint is thinner at the nozzle & application is more positive, especially in less than ideal conditions of temperature & humidity.

Finally, I suppose I ought to end by saying (excuse the capitals) DON'T USE NAKED FLAMES!

Usual disclaimers.

Regards,

Kim

Reply to
kimsiddorn

Not recommended to put spray can in hot water.. Brother did this, can exploded broke his thumb..

Nosey Neighbour called the fire brigade, who then called the NSW police, who turned up with detectives..

All in all there were 4 detectives, 5 uniformed coppers(hanging around like a bad smell) and 3 firemen including the fire station chief, 4 police cars, 3 fire units..

And

They all wanted to get inside the house.. I was there sure go ahead get a warrant 1st..

I let one of the 'd's look around.. silly buggers.. including the brother..

Be warned fellas about taken bad advice ( sorry Kim )..

Pannawonica ..

Reply to
Pannawonica

Life must be a lot quieter there - it would take something just short of a tac nuke to get such an assembly out in Britain! Point taken though, there is obviously some danger involved hence my warnings to wrap the tin in a cloth - a folded tea towel is good..

At your own risk - but it does work.

Regards,

Kim

Reply to
kimsiddorn

I've exploded many an aerosol tin. I shove them in the 45 gallon drum that now serves as the incinerator. Mostly the valve/nipple gives way and the result is pretty lack-lustre, sometimes they spit open at the seam - that normally makes a bit of a bang and makes the drum rattle a bit.

I don't think you'll ever have bother with just hot water, I've used that trick many times, you can tell (or approximate) the can's internal pressure by squeezing the side hard with your thumb - that's a good trick to try if you're trying to work out if that can that's been sitting on the bottom shelf for 15 years is alive or dead.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

I don't think you get the message about neighbours here..

Also the NSW police are at war with the general public..

and I do know something about the UK.. Coppers over there are lazy bsteds wont get orff their bums with all those cctv's out there..

Coppers over here don't want to get out of their cars.. unless its for booking a motorist, and now they don't need too since most patrol cars are armed with the lastest whizz bang stuff available from seppoland and oh yes they are the most evil people around motorists..

and when they do go off on foot they go in packs off at least 4.. which means they all carry 1 glock each with 10 rounds each.. Most of 'em are little nazi's...

Now to something else =>

Campbelltown Steam and Machinery Museum. Campbelltown, New South Wales.

Friend of mine is a member, he has the Napier Deltic, Fairbanks Morse, Crossley HRL4, Dorman 6LB, Mclaren MR3, Dorman 6DL III, Mclaren ML4, Detroit Diesel Twin, shown in the link Machinary (and I 'think' the Peapone Ricarrdo belongs to him also)..

On their field days alsorts of stuff is going on steam engines, mini loco rides, posion pies care of the Air League(sort male/female scouts)..

Smoke - diesel - steam and dust, don't think the greenies have cottoned on just yet..

Pannawonica ..

Reply to
Pannawonica

Used to take them down the range sit them at about 50mtrs.. 'After' the target shooting for real.. See if you could hit them with a .22 handgun with open sights.. They go off too, can't do that anymore, bluddy killjoys..

Pannawonica ..

Reply to
Pannawonica

Several years ago, security at Heathrow Airport used to confiscate aerosol cans larger than a certain size from hand luggage. These were disposed of by sending them to the Metropolitan Police Training Centre at Hendon, where they would be used as targets on their range.

Reply to
MatSav