Muncie Oil Engines

The first 20 pages are up on the website:

There will be a further 10 or so pages put on tonight.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

Forgot to mention:

There is a Muncie icon and link at the bottom of the main menu if you come in via the main web address:

Otherwise you'll have to use the url I originally posted until I get the individual section menus updated.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

Thanks again Peter, from the looks of it these were a very well designed engine for the period. Like the idea of using the plates to alter the compression. Are there many left in collections, or more to the point did they make many?

Cheers, MartinH

Reply to
martin hirst

I think Petter and Lister used compression plates of a kind, but these are quite nicely defined and obviously they had a bit of experience in the use of the variable compression ratio to suit different fuels.

I think they were out of business in 1924, probably depression-era failure, there is not a lot of information on the net either.

There is the preserved engine at Portland which is owned by the Tri-State Gas Engine And Tractor Association at Portland. They have accepted a copy of the catalogue for their own information, and the other guy is Rick Strobel who is chasing after a 50hp engine.

Other than that, I don't know of any, but I am sure there must be a few sleepers out there.

The Portland engine is pictured in our show series of pictures, I think we took pictures each of the three years we went over there.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

FWIW, I have a listing under Engines, Oil & Fuel Oil:

"Muncie Oil Engine Co. 700 S. Mulberry, Muncie, Ind."

in a 1930 Buyers' Guide.

Tom

***
Reply to
Tom

Thanks, Tom, that takes it up a few years, anything later than that anyone?

Peter

Peter A Forbes