New/old parts

Brief question from a new poster. I'm curious how the average old engine restorer get discontinued cast parts made. For the quantities involved, a one-of pattern can be very expensive.

Reply to
1501

There are a couple of ways.

  1. Can you fabricate the casting as a good look alike.
  2. find a few others that need the same part as you to reduce the cost.
  3. find another engine that has the bit, preferably a scrap engine beyond repair.
  4. Accept the cost as a one off but keep the pattern for future use.
  5. Make from cheaper material.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

As welding and grinding is now relatively cheaper than casting or forging, this approach makes sense. For non-ferrous stuff I do it myself, using either lost-foam (yellow insulation foam) or petrobond sand. If you can live with more shaping work on a one-off, you can also make the pattern making aspect very simple in comparison to an original.

I'm also curious just what pattern making and casting do cost these days. Anyone have favourite places and rough prices? Seeking a quote is a painful process and the few small job foundries that are stilll around range between arrogant artists and unhelpful tossers, IMHE. Isn't there a guy just started in Bedminster though - Kim, know anything?

Reply to
Andy Dingley