Onan Genny & Smoke....

Made up some battery cables for the Onan today, lots of 50mm qwelding cable offcuts around the place just waiting to be used up!

The temptation to try and turn it over proved too strong, so we hooked up a battery and pressed the 'Go' button.

It turned over, but relatively slowly, but on the second attempt it started to spin much quicker, accompanied by thick white smoke pouring out of the genny end!

After a quick inspection and strip-down, we found that one of the radio suppression cap's had committed hari-kiri, so we stripped them all out.

Commutator and sliprings showed no discernable wear, and the end bearing had no rock in it at all. We regreased the bearing, reassembled everything and gave it another try, wherefor it really spun over quickly, but the impulse for the magneto wasn't firing, so that's another job for tomorrow.

Pictures at:

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes