OT but very relevant to us all

Gentlemen, I have heard these comments passed about almost every piece of legislation. I certainly remember it about MOT tests. The cry of "we are not going to be allowed to work on our own cars" and "I know that my car is safe, why do I need to pay to have it checked" were all trotted out. My father heard the same when driving tests were bought out. The fact is that legislation such as this saves lives. This group is populated by people who are generally competent. However, does everyone know the contents of the 16th edition IEE regs otherwise known as BS 7671? Can we all carry out calculations for let through energy, earth loop impedance, etc? If we can, do we posses the test equipment to measure the functional areas of wiring installations? I Know I don't have this equipment and my memory of the calculations is a little rusty. As has been said, you can still install your own wiring and carry out limited work. Extensive works MUST be certified by a licenced inspector. It's just like an MOT when your electrical system is altered and it helps to make it safe. Of course, you can ignore the law. It will be almost impossible to police it (new build apart). When you come to sell your house however and the purchasers solicitor asks for the inspection certificate, cries of "I don't need one because I know what I'm doing" won't carry any weight. Contractors who are capable of working with Tri-rated cable or SWA are easily found. I use such people on LV and HV at work. I agree that your local house basher is out of his depth there but so would a car mechanic be if asked to service a 40 Tonne HGV. For those who genuinely do know about electrical installations, prove it. Take the exam and get your certificate. It's not expensive and you will be allowed to do all you own work legally. Until then, the law will assume that you are NOT qualified and will therefore require your work to be tested. I await the flames.

John

"Campingstoveman" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de...

Reply to
John Manders

Gentlemen,

The 1st of April is upon early, I was driving home from the local D I Y store with a new outside light when on BBC Radio 2 the Newscaster announced that as of the new year the government will decide via the Local Council Planning Department what electrical work you will carryout inside your own home. This brings to mind a recent quote of Rick Wakeman " I wake up in the morning and wait for the phone to ring to tell me I can have a S**t ". The sooner this Tin Pot Dictator is voted out the better. I am a very unpolitical type of person but so far this takes the biscuit and boy has it spoilt my day :-((

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Presumably related to the mention I heard on the telly this morning that soon only certified electricians will be permitted to do wiring work. Maybe the two stories are one & the same, we all know how well we can rely on journalists to get stories right . Anyone know the *real* story??

Cheers Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

So I take it, that as of now, a householder can do all wiring from the point of entry?

Tom

Reply to
Tom

No, see

However somewhere on the niceic.org.uk site is a table of what a householder can or cannot do. The discussion this a.m. on Radio 4 Today prog. was essentially correct.

--=20 ff=20

Reply to
the_black_hole

-- ____________________________________

Internal Fire, Museum of Power, Wales

Internal Fire Museum of Power is a Not-for-Profit company registered in the UK

Reply to
Paul Evans

So the ELECSA lobbyists got what they wanted! Still that's a minor thing, don't you still have household rates based on the improved value of your property?

Tom

Reply to
Tom

There is no improvement Tom, this is England you know .

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

In article , Tim Leech writes

The telly story is wrong. You will still be able to do your own wiring. What you will not be able to do any more is the testing and certification of the wiring, unless it is for "minor work".

Do a Google search on "Part P" or look in the discussion forums on

John Mann

Perhaps you need to shift to Wales or Scotland, John? :-) Tom

Reply to
Tom

In article , Campingstoveman writes

Nasty, isn't it. An unpleasant little closed shop, whose gleeful owners will now pretty well be able to charge what they like, to do what many of us are perfectly capable of doing properly for nowt.

The Government have once again assumed that 'professional' equals 'competent', which to my mind is a total non-sequitur. The first, to me, means no more than 'paid to do something'; the second 'can do it properly'. The second is by no means guaranteed by the first.

Sadly, it looks as if things are going that way...

Too b****y right.

Likewise. We're currently making all the wiring changes we reckon we'll need for a very long time in this house. After the end of the year, we'll have to make do with what we've got. We're certainly not in the business of paying a 'teeth-sucker' to rook us seven ways to Sunday for b*gg*r*ng up a job which we can do safely, correctly and probably better ourselves.

Regards, Andrew, wondering how we'll wire up/in the rad-cooled Lister D (already in its little engine-house) and standby generator now....

Reply to
Andrew Marshall

Where are all these certified guys coming from? not the cowboys you see around the streets and building sites now, I hope.

They are great for a couple of extra power points as long as they haven't got to do anything serious, but try and find someone who can play with 120mm Tri-Rated or big SWA, you'll probably have a job on your hands.

House wiring should be done by someone who knows what they are about, nobody would argue that point, but making people use 'certified' electricians when they can do the job perfectly well themselves is a joke, a very bad joke.

Peter

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

Just a load more un-enforceable bad law from a well-meaning but badly misguided bunch of people who think they know better about everything. For the moment sales of fittings/cable etc. will not be restricted but you can bet it won't be long! If nobody here voted for them then who did ;-(

ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

I doubt that could happen under the incoming rules, as I have read them from web sources. There will still be some wiring allowed by ordinary mortals, plus there will be the option of doing it first & then getting it inspected

- in that sense I suppose it'll be treated rather like structural building work except that those doing the inspection will have to be suitably qualified. Do building control have the qualified staff ready to do this, or will they be reliant on bringing in contractors - who will of course already be overstretched by the new regulations?

It does seem a nonsense that perfectly capable people will be more or less barred from doing what they've always done, there's no great magic about basic wiring given *some* knowledge & common sense. It looks like the old sledge hammer to crack a nut routine, and legislating always for the lowest common denominator in sense.

Is this the result of a government initiative, or pressure from the industry, or the EC, or what?

Cheers Tim (who was brought up to do all his own wiring & has no wish to stop now)

Reply to
Tim Leech

You just have to interpret the regs correctly. The regs say from Jan 1st 2005 work will have to be inspected but we have done ALL our work by this date haven't we ? Nobody needs to do any wiring AFTER this date do they ? because it was all done PREVIOUS to this date - wasn't it ??????????

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

Quite :-) Anyone got any SWA going spare? 2.5 or 4mm 3+E. a few 5M offcuts would do the jobs.... regards Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Well, yes. As long as the actual building is up, then naturally all extant wiring was completed prior to the regulations coming into force.

And there, me lud, rests the case for the defence ;o))

Regards,

Kim

-who has wired, plumbed and connected to mains drains in his time!

all done PREVIOUS to this date - wasn't it ??????????

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Having come late to this thread, in some ways I find it refreshing that the population in general are to be subjected to the same kind of cr*p that farmers have had to put up with for many years. I could quote twenty unnecessary ways this excuse for an administration affects our little farm in a non-beneficial way with time-wasting, costly and ineffective regulation, drawn up by people who've never even been on a farm.

It sounds like they're starting on small businesses and householders now.

Just treat the measure with the respect it deserves and make sure you vote.

Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

"Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton" wrote (snip):-

Sad thing is that after a number of years of one lot, we actually begin to believe the alternative might be better. Who was it once said "It doesn't matter who you vote for - the government still get in" :-(

Reply to
Nick H

All politicians are like babies nappies . . . . .

You have to change them regularly and for exactly the same reasons :-(

Reply to
Ian Malcolm