OT ish Genny question

Knowing that there are some generator gurus here................

A friend of mine lives in an old farm on the Gower and works as a ceramacist and needs to install a new electric kiln. TShe is currently trying to get out of South West Power exactly how much current they can draw but its a bit like pulling teeth! The cost of having to have a new power supply laid on would be extortionate.

One other option seemed to be the possibility of of using a big generator. They would probably need to run the kiln for about 12 hours at a stretch, overnight, once a week. I would reckon that the current required would be less than 60 amps but more than 30 amps. Electric start would be essential.

I am sure that there arer plenty of brand new off the shelf solutions available if you throw enough money at the problem. However, the question is - how easy is it to find a decent genny capable of delivering 60 amps reliably and doesn't cost the earth - how much are we talking about here? I guess we are talking diesel and quite sizeable. Whilst it doesn't need to be silent it would need to be no worse than a diesel car engine. It ought to be be possible to build a sound insulated shed or enclosure of some kind to put it in to kill the sound off a bit.

All pearls of wisdom on this would be greatfully accepted.

regards

Dudley

Reply to
Dudley Simons

Does she have the three-phase feeder near to where she is located?

Most of those kilns, certainly the larger semi-industrial ones can be bought as

3-phase, which chops the line current down, but she would need to have a 3-phase supply. 3-phase gennies are cheaper to buy than the equivalent single-phase ones.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

Hi Peter

They have 3 phase at the moment but I don't think its a very big cable and I think the feeder is a couple of hundred metres away along a very narrow private lane. As I said she is trying to get SWP to give them details of what their present supply can deliver (and how much it would cost to lay in a new, bigger supply)

What kind of money is involved to get a GOOD secondhand 3 phase diesel genny and how much diesel would you typically expect it to use per hour? I assume they would be able to use red diesel for the genny?

regards

Dudley

Reply to
Dudley Simons

First of all are we talking 60 amps single phase or three phase.60 amps is only a small supply and I doubt the existing supply is fused less than that.What does it say on the cutout on the end of the supply cable where it comes to the meter?What are the boards fuses rated at in the cutout? If you have 60amps a phase of a supply I would not bother going for genny with the high initial cost,maintenance and the need to store diesel.

Reply to
mark

Red diesel or rebated diesel is being phased out I think, would be worth looking at that.

As Mark says, 60A per phase is probably enough to do what they want, as the load is spread over the three phases. A single phase 10kW kiln is going to take 40A or so.

I's do a bit of detective work as Mark suggests and see what more you can find out.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

We were quoted £18k to run a single phase mains supply up a private road in Kent, plus Road Closure paperwork. We're a bit stuffed actually as the supply is the OTHER side of the main A291!

Just would be, wunnit?

regards,

Kim Siddorn

Teach a child to be polite and courteous and you create an adult that can't merge a car into faster traffic.

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Kim, up here we normally run cables ourselves and let the board do the jointing.Under a road is usually quite easy using some of the horizontal drilling contractors available.Usually save 40-75% of the board`s quote.As long as the cable and the burying procedures meet current specs the boards can`t refuse to connect you.At least that is the law in Scotland.

Mark.

Reply to
mark

We did the same when we moved here, we put in the ducting/trench/cable and the board connected up, £200.00 plus VAT.

We did our own fuse/dist board, they just put their 3-ph meter up.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

That's more or less where we are ATM. There is some suggestion that we'll put in mains water at the same time, doing the ditching etc ourselves. The lane is a privately owned right of way which complicates the issue a little.

I didn't know about the horizontal boring - thanks ;o))

regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 15:27:28 +0000, Peter A Forbes finished tucking into their plate of fish, chips and mushy peas. Wiping their mouths, they swiggged the last of their cup of tea, paid the bill and wrote::

It's being phased out for boats, but farmers are still OK to use it, as would your potter (can't spell ceramisist)

Brian L Dominic

Web Site:

Newsgroup readers should note that the reply-to address is NOT read: To email me, please send to brian(dot)dominic(at)tiscali(dot)co(dot)uk

Reply to
Brian Dominic

About standard single phase domestic supply. We are on the end of a single phase 11kV line just to us, the fuses on the pole are 200A...

I'm not sure if the OP is saying that there is a long bit of 230v cabling to the property up the private lane or if the 11kV distribution comes up to the property. Volt drop on a long 230v feed could be an issue.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Presumably you are on a private supply at the moment. So why change free water for water you have to pay for?

It seems you are going against the grain - see

David Mack (on free Pennine spring water for 13 years)

Reply to
David Mack

That's the problem - we have no water supply ATM.

Damned interesting article though - thanks very much David.