OT - nitric acid?

I need some nitric acid as I wish to etch a steel knife blade. Can anyone here help or suggest a source reasonably close to me in Bristol?

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
kimsiddorn

Try suppliers to the jewellery trade. Unfortunately it can't be shipped - pick up only (which does raise the question of how it was delivered to the supplier!)

One such supplier is HS Walsh

they have showrooms in London, Croydon and Birmingham - but there must be other suppliers closer to you

Reply to
John

Kim, Does it have to be Nitric acid? How much do you need and what concentration? Can't you get the same effect with a fine sand blaster? Incidentally, acid can be sent via a carrier. It all depends on the quantity and concentration. See the Carriage of Dangerous Goods regulations. I had 15 litres of Hydrochloric acid delivered last week to etch my garage floor prior to painting. It did have some sort of inhibitor that made it yellow though. If you only need a small amount, how about asking at one of the schools you talk to if they've got any in their chemistry lab or has H&S done away with those now?

John

Reply to
John