paint

Hi all,

My Petter M project seems to have about ninety layers of paint on it, the very bottom one maybe is the factory paint and the rest is layer after layer of rubbish that previous owners have slung on over the top of each other. Can anyone recommend a method of getting this lot off, other than endless sanding? Don't want to use Nitromors or similar, as this tends to make more mess than it saves!

Reply to
Martin Brooks

The original probably contains lead. When I get one like that I dunk it in boiling caustic but that can get messy too ;-)

there is no magic non-messy bullet.

Roland

Reply to
Roland Craven

Some cheap oil based paints soften nicely with a blowlamp and scraper. An angle grinder with a wire wheel makes short work of accessible surfaces but is too vicious for alloy or any fillers. Once you get into corners nitromors is the easiest way but be sure to have a good stock of disposable rubber gloves, it really burns when you get it on skin. Be sure to wash it off well with water, any residue will mess up your new paint. A good blat with a pressure washer is best.

Whichever way you go it is going to be a messy job.

Reply to
crn

DIY sandblaster?

Know what you mean about nitromors etc. - hate the stuff, and it never seems to work very well anyway.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

The old fashioned caustic-based Nitromors is much better than the newer stuff. Nasty stuff mind & needs careful washing afterwards.

Having a really oil free surface does help. After cleaning with paraffin & then Gunk (wash off with hot water), I use a good dollop of washing fluid in boiling water which I brush on & leave to soak for a while before washing off with water as close to boiling as I can - often, I pour it over the engine direct from the kettle.

As the hot surface dries quickly, you can see the paint is really dull as all the old oil has been washed out of it. Nitromors will work much better on this surface.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
kimsiddorn

kimsiddorn

I'm sure I got this URL from a post here a few months ago. Make your own blaster for soda:-

brightside S9

I would use water-soluble Nitromors, followed by a hosepipe. Peter

Reply to
THE DOUGLAS STATIONARY ENGINE RESOURCE (admin)

Isn't this all part of the engines history that should be preserved?

John

Reply to
John

Isn't this all part of the engines history that should be preserved?

John

YAWN :-) Roland

Reply to
Roland Craven

Now come on Roland. One minute you're saying don't touch the paint as it's condition is part of the engine. Now you're prepared to scrap all that history just because you don't like how it looks. You can't have it both ways.

John

Reply to
John

John,

This paint thread is becoming a little stale, even I an inveterate wind up merchant has put it to bed, how's about you doing the same. :-)) By the way how are you!

Reply to
campingstoveman