Petter PH1 info required

I've just acquired an old Thwaites Orion dumper. I think it dates back to the 50's or 60's because it has a chain drive from the engine to the gearbox.

I'm stripping it down for a restoration job and am in the process of replacing gearbox bearings which are in dreadful condition due to there being more water than oil inside it :-) The good news is that the rest of the gearbox internals are pretty good and fit to go again.

Anyway, next task is the engine. I believe it to be a Petter PH1. I've already found one snag with the governor arm which is very loose in it's bushing/bearing and needs attention before it drops off and the engine destroys itself. So at least a partial strip down. Does anyone know of any good sources of spares or reference material for this engine? I've found this page of Peter's

but there's nothing on it at the moment :-(

It's a weird arrangement, it looks like the drive from the engine is taken from the camshaft and not the crank - let's hope Petter used a good beefy drive there! I'm pretty hopeful that the engine is in good(ish) nick regards the major components because it starts first time from cold (May weather admittedly) without the excess fuel selected and settles instantly to a smooth idle - plenty of black smoke when given some throttle like all good Diesels :-)

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

Charles Hamilton

The pages were taken offline after we had problems with folks taking images and using them on their own sites.

The PH1 and others in the range had full power available from either the camshaft of the crankshaft, a lot of Listers also had this feature.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

Pete what was on those pages, was there any good gen or just pictures? I'd really like to get hold of an instruction or repair manual for the engine if possible. I've found an Illustrated parts catalogue and instruction book for the dumper, but Thwaites refer engine matters to the Petter book :-(

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

Take a look at

have a comprehensive library of manuals, you may need to make a small donation to access the library but its all for a good cause.

Reply to
crn

I have a duplicate PH Operator's Handbook, Publication 8002/10.

Drop me an email if that is of any interest.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

Thanks for the replies, I'll take a look soonish, work's been a bit of a PITA lately and I'm struggling for time :-(

BTW, I got the gearbox bearings from Simply bearings . com. They are near me in Warrington at Leigh and provided a first class service. They used the trade website to locate the one and only remaining in the country SKF GB (ie last made in the 70's) clutch thrust bearing for me! Give 'em a go for bearings and seals etc 'tis rare to find truly helpful people these days...

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

Just in case anyone's interested I bumped into this site while looking for stuff and found the PH1 operator's handbook and workshop manual, it's just what I was looking for:

There's an engine data sheet on the site also.

Julian.

PS, No more nails left to drive into the UK rec SE group coffin lid :-(

Julian.

Reply to
Julian