Petter "S" Injector wanted

I am trying to buy an injector for a Petter "S" engine for the trust which owns it and the ship it is in.

The Petter "S" is a single cylinder, 9 HP model, serial no. 39936, and was acquired by the M.S. Yavari to power a generator providing on-board electricity in the mid-1930's. The Yavari is a Victorian iron-hulled ship moored on Lake Titicaca in Peru. The Petter's injector was lost by a boatyard in England to whom it was sent to be serviced some years ago.

The M.S. Yavari was built in 1862 by James Watt's Foundry in Birmingham to an order by the Peruvian government. She and her sister ship were dispatched in several thousand crates, each weighing under four cwt., around Cape Horn to the Pacific port of Arica. From there the boxes were carried by mule over the Andes to Lake Titicaca, a distance of 250 miles and over 15,500 feet in altitude. The iron hull of the Yavari was reassembled by Christmas 1870, and its maiden voyage took place in 1871. The ship was 100 ft. long, 17 ft. wide and had a draft of 10 ft, but it was later lengthened by 50 ft to accommodate more cargo. Its original engine was a 60 HP steam engine which was run on dried llama droppings, but this was not efficient, so in 1914 it was replaced with a 4 cylinder Bolinder semi-diesel. This is the largest and oldest engine of its type in running order today. It is a thing of great beauty!

The Yavari was acquired by a Peruvian trust in 1987, in semi-derelict condition. In 1998 she became a Peruvian State Registered Museum, and she sailed again for the first time since restoration in December

1999. She is currently undergoing trials and tests to obtain a licence to carry passengers around Lake Titicaca. Hopefully she will start to do this next year. It would be very good if the Petter could be brought back to running order and provide light and power for the passengers and crew as it did in the past.

The Peruvian trust, "La Asociacion Yavari", is supported by a UK registered charity, "The Yavari Project".

The Yavari's sister ship, the Yapura, was commissioned in 1873, and continues to serve as a hospital ship on Lake Titicaca for the Peruvian navy. It remains at its original length of 100 ft.

If anyone can supply an injector, or knows someone who might have one, I would be glad to hear from them. Copies of any handbooks, manuals, part lists, technical drawings, etc, would also be most welcome, as the engine will no doubt need further work!

Please contact Peter Lea on 01442 870358 or by email at snipped-for-privacy@fwplea.co.uk.

Reply to
Peter Lea

I see that I have previously corresponded with a "Geoff" ( snipped-for-privacy@aol.com) on this subject. Before he got the hump with me (because he would not believe that the engine was not 1924) I offered him the drawings for this component when I got them. I have them and the offer stands but you will need a broadband connection as they are large files. regards

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven