power saw for disposal

Hi All

I have been offered a power hack saw but I don't have a need for one.

Is there any demand for these beasties?

I don't have any details for it - maker etc, but if anyone is interested in a power saw at a very reasonable cost I'll find out more about it.

It would need picking up from central Cambridge during office hours.

You would need to bring your own gear and muscle to move it - at the moment you could get to within five or six feet of it with a vehicle. I would think two men and two sack barrows could probably get it on to a tail lift - I can send any seriously interested party a photo showing its position.

Any takers?

regards

Dudley

Reply to
Dudley Simons

No one does.

Some. =A350 seems average for the ubiquitous Rapidor.

Friend of mine has had one for some years (5-10?) He also has a Happy Shopper bandsaw that's far from lovely, but very useful. The bandsaw gets used for _everything_, I think the hacksaw has been used twice. Once was for railway rail (a failed attempt to make anviles), which is really tough going.

So if you've got the space to spare, they're cute and you might use it once in a blue moon. Otherwise bandsaws are really cheap these days.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I was afraid that might be the answer - you really know how to cheer up somones weekend! :o(

Reply to
Dudley Simons

Don't be disillusioned! I got a big heavy Wicksteed jobby last winter off the ebay. It's a brilliant thing, my Clarke chop saw hasn't been used since and I can get really square cuts on channel and the like making welding and fabricating easy. I don't think a bandsaw would cut as accurately?

I'd stick it on e-bay IIWY. I'd hate to guess at a price. Some machines are very lightweight and basic - little more than a crank, rod and hacksaw, while others - like my Wicksteed, have pretty elaborate hydraulics to control things, coolant pump etc and weigh probably almost 1/2 ton.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

We use our Rapidor quite frequently, wouldn't be without it and much easier to use with long heavy sections lower down towards the floor.

Should be takers for it, £50 as has been mentioned.

Is it single or three-phase?

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

Reply to
Charles Hamilton

Shouldn't matter too much, the mountings on the Rapidor frame are really easy to work with and you could attach almost any spare motor to it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Some of them are like that.

Some have integral gearboxes mounted on the end of a Hoover motor. (square type)

if so ...you can swap of some of the parts of a single phase Hoover motor into the three phase Hoover motor...if i remember, requires you to turn down the end of the shaft where it fits into a bearing...not much work really.

it's a while since i did this to a friends machine ..and i cant remember what was swapped with what .. but lay the two next to each other ..and you'll soon work it out ..assuming you can get hold of a single phase Hoover motor ..

PS..and by Hoover ..i don't mean vacuum cleaner :)

all the best.markj

Reply to
mark