roller bearings/worn shaft

Hi gents,

have had a good time lately, took delivery of what seems to be quite an early Lister sawbench last Saturday morning, then on Sunday, I went to the rally at Wrotham (pronounced route-ham) and found one length of flat belting, which just happened to be the right width/length. Haggled that down to £3 even though it looked hardly used. No connectors though!

I drilled a line of holes in each side and used railway fence wire to lace it up! (as per sem's belts and belt drive book) seems to work well.

I think the bearings on the sawbench have been replaced at some time and the shaft under one of them has been very slightly reduced in size due no doubt to slipping, what should I do to prevent this happening again? Loctite came to mind but any other ideas are welcomed.

The bearings have RA10 stamped on them, is this the type or size, or just a part number?

The sawbench is a Lister spec LN s/n 170

thanks in advance

Simon Taylor ( If mi spellcheker thails again i will be thinnished in this groap)

P.S. just up the road from Wrotham is a place spelled Trottiscliffe, this is pronounced as trossley! Work that one out!

Reply to
Simon Taylor

If you can get the proper aligator joiners they work much better. The aligator type fasten with a claw onto each end of the belting and a single pin joins them together. In this way the pin works like a hinge. By lacing the ends with fence wire, you are taking the flex on the belt ends and that will wear it quite quickly.

Loctite should work provided the wear isn't too deep. If it is, the shaft will need building up with either epoxy, welding or metal spraying.

John

Reply to
John Manders

Simon,

Was this the one at sellinge? I had a look but have one already, they are nice benches. Whats the condition of the blade? I didnt like to ask what he wanted for it.

Regards

Chris Bedo Kent UK

Reply to
Chris Bedo

If there is significant clearance the shaft will tend to roll round the bearing bore, particularly if it's on the belt side, and wear will increase even if there is no actual skidding. Loctite do make a product specifically for this purpose (bearing fit) which has better gap filling properties than the standard thread locking grades. Watch out for shaft sitting eccentrically in bearing bore though. An old dodge to tighten up a loose bearing is to knurl the shaft or at a pinch attack it with a centre punch, neither is really to be recommended and can work loose again due to reduced contact area, but at least they ensure that the shaft is tolerably well cantered in the bearing. perhaps combining old and new techniques would produce a lasting repair.

RA10 does not sound like a good number, RL 10 is an old Hoffmann number for a 1" bore, 2 1/4" OD, 5/8" width, cylindrical roller bearing.

Reply to
Nick H

Sorry all,

Had a quick last minute holiday and forgot to tell you all.

The bearing are in fact stamped RL10 A and are 5/8 deep, 1-1/4" shaft and about (from memory) 2-11/16 or 2-13/16 ish

One of them is a little bit slack and it was the one on the pulley side of the shaft.

Chris, yes it was the one from sellindge and apart from some surface rust, is in very good condition. The blade is sharp enough to warrant careful handling, and munched it's way through a scaffold board without breaking a sweat, although never having used such a beast before, it was first tested on a rather stale loaf of bread which it sliced to perfection!

It has been suggested by a friend that when I get the sawbench to a rally, it would be quite a crowd puller to do Lister egg sandwiches ( using the hopper to boil the eggs!).

France. Unlike our outdated/outmoded Health and Safety system, the French have a healthy new approach to the whole thing, it's called common sense. You can climb up the electricity poles very easily as they have holes all the way up, but common sense prevents people from doing so. The railways are mainly unfenced and you can wander all over the tracks and sidings, but kids are taught early on that standing on the track is not good for the health if a train is coming. This common sense system seems to do better than our Health and Safety system and save billions of euros in not wasting money on beaurocratic executives, fencing, barriers, safety manuals, officers, risk assesments, signs and all the other crap that is costing our industries so much money.

Sorry got carried away there!

Will let you know of progress on sawbench and sandwiches

Simon Taylor

specifically

Reply to
Simon Taylor