Science Museum.

Just got back from a break in the "Smoke" and a long overdue visit to the Science Museum. (Did make a flying visit years ago with my then partner who was only interested in the Medicine dept so didn't get to see my "Interests Dept") I think that I could easily spend a week or two in there drooling over all the exhibits on the ground floor! The exhibits that have really stuck in my mind are the "Working Model of a Machine shop" and the Model of the Blacksmith's Shop. Whoever made those tools and machines was a brilliant model maker!!

Reply to
Charles Hamilton

I was always taken by the unassuming display of a pair of Mr Whitworth's reference flats.

BugBear

Reply to
bugbear

The lovely old B'ham museum of science and industry had a hand made lead screw from the same source hanging on the wall. Wonder if it's still on display at the shiney new 'Think Tank'?

NHH

bugbear wrote:

Reply to
Nick H

I'd have thought famous lead screws were by Maudsley, not Whitworth?

BugBear

Reply to
bugbear

Pretty sure it was Whitworth, called a 'master thread' or some such - but then the last time I was in B'ham is 25 years ago!

NHH

bugbear wrote:

Reply to
NHH

Charles,

As a young lad, until I was thirteen, I was brought up in south London and my Paternal Grandfather had his own Black Cab. He used to take me to the Museums regularly and when it came to the science museum he had great difficulty trying to get me in, he then found another problem, he could not get me out. From about the age of eight I was allowed to catch the train from Selhurst and then the underground to South Kensington to visit the museums often. I still make a pilgrimage to the Science Museum at least once a year even now and until she found out what boys were my daughter used to come also. Its a fantastic place and there is always something to see and do.

Reply to
campingstoveman

Reply to
Charles Hamilton

Ah; now you remind me, Whitworth did have his "Lord Chancellor"

BugBear

Reply to
bugbear