Stuart 1959 diesel question

I just noticed a Stuart Turner diesel for sale locally. Says 1959, twin 2-stroke, 11hp, marine unit with wet sump. Anyone know whether this should be touched with a barge-pole (I new a yachtsman once who reckoned Stuart Turners were best used as anchors - not sure which model he had, but his boat was 1958 !), any info on the web ?

Steve (in Cheshire)

Reply to
Steve

If you don't want it, could you pass the details on to me please? I've always rather fancied one of those just as a toy.

Cheers Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

Have done some more research and think it must be the H2M. A bit of a lump compared to what I am looking for - e-mail me and I'll send the contact details. There's one rebuild and another for spares, and it says 'offers'.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 20:47:54 +0100, Tim Leech finished tucking into their plate of fish, chips and mushy peas. Wiping their mouths, they swiggged the last of their cup of tea, paid the bill and wrote::

I once heard one in a narrowboat - it sounded great! (and of course, they were used in tractors as well)

Brian L Dominic

Web Sites: Canals:

of the Cromford Canal:
(Waterways World Site of the Month, November 2005)

Newsgroup readers should note that the reply-to address is NOT read: To email me, please send to brian(dot)dominic(at)tiscali(dot)co(dot)uk

Reply to
Brian Dominic

It's in this week's Buy Sell. I was going to buy it but managed to talk myself out of it :-)

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

Interesting engine, this one sold recently on ebay to give you an idea of the 'going rate' (if there is such a thing for for something which comes up for sale so infrequently):-

If it is up together and running ok, then it's likely to stay that way for a long time with reasonable care, but any parts required - if available - will be expensive.

BTW. I was saddened to read in SEM that David Pickop of Fairways Marine has passed away - he was always very helpful, often volunteering information from the original S-T dispatch books if he saw an engine number mentioned on the marine engines discussion board.

Nick H.

Reply to
Nick H

I have a manual for the H2M/H2MR.I recently scanned it and now have it in Pdf format. Copy available on request f.o.c. Mike.H. Stuart info is now on more to follow

Mike.H.

Pictures of our one are on the website, quite a complex little beastie with pressure scavenging via a pair of side-mounted pistons driven off an eccentric.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

So did I Julian (after seeing the weight of it), and passed the details on to Tim - but it was a close call - it is an interesting engine (or rather - pair of engines, there being two advertised, one built, and one for spares).

Steve

Reply to
Steve

"Brian Dominic" wrote

Would that be Turner rather than Stuart-Turner? They made single and V twin SEs, V4 tractor engines (Yeoman of England) and a two-stroke triple of German origin used in early Land Rover diesel conversions - probably others too.

Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 12:02:42 +0100, "Nick H" finished tucking into their plate of fish, chips and mushy peas. Wiping their mouths, they swiggged the last of their cup of tea, paid the bill and wrote::

Yes - I'm talking about Turner engines.

Brian L Dominic

Web Sites: Canals:

of the Cromford Canal:
(Waterways World Site of the Month, November 2005)

Newsgroup readers should note that the reply-to address is NOT read: To email me, please send to brian(dot)dominic(at)tiscali(dot)co(dot)uk

Reply to
Brian Dominic

replying to Mike.H., robert burrell wrote: Hello Mike,I have just read your posting dated July 16 2007,5:41 pm re Stuart H2M/H2MR manual,I have just bought one of these engines which appears to be very complete and I would be very greatfull if I could get a copy,I am happy to pay any costs.Please advise, thanks.Bob Burrell Adelaide South Australia 30.3.2016

Reply to
robert burrell