unearthing things...

Well, the mechanism I tripped over in the woods the other day turned out to be the front axle / steering box assembly from an old row-crop tractor (Oliver, near as I can tell, and bloody heavy for the size). Rather damaged and unservicable after decades in the ground, but I split the gear casing and the gears are still nicely grease-covered and should clean up well. Interesting paperweights, maybe!

Anyone else dug up anything interesting recently? :-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Charles Hamilton

Nothing that interesting but while doing ground work for new engine shed various lumps of history emerged such as WC cistern top and the inevitable bed irons!

NHH.

Reply to
NHH

A mate of mine, now retired, worked for the water board and one day whilst visiting a farmer fell over a finned hopper of a Wolesley which was lying on the ground, he asked the farmer where the rest of it was and was told it was underneath the hopper. The up shot was if he could dig it up he could have it, the only thing the farmer forgot to mention was that it was still bolted to a six foot lump of timber.

He retrieved it but it nearly killed him.

Reply to
campingstoveman

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 19:15:30 +0100, "campingstoveman" wrote::

............... which reminds me of the time I went up into our local woods, to snaffle a Midland Railway boundary post (which can be seen at:

). I guessed it might be buried deeply................ but not for six feet! Bear in mind that there were only about 9" visible........ It took about three trips to extract it and about three hours on a mechanical hacksaw (and Gawd knows how many blades) to reduce it to a more manageable (and easily replantable) size!

Brian L Dominic

Web Site:

Newsgroup readers should note that the reply-to address is NOT read: To email me, please send to brian(dot)dominic(at)tiscali(dot)co(dot)uk

Reply to
Brian Dominic

I came across a gearbox/crankcase casting lying next to a recently excavated pond which I guess was from a LE Velocette last year.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

I got my son in law to be a human ferret & he got into the back of the garage (unseen for many years) over a pile of stuff and hauled out all my Vincent spares. Nothing wonderful, but the stuff I've put up on Epay so far is humming nicely.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
kimsiddorn

Yes, that's familiar, too. We're on an old farm, and "back in the day" they used to just shove junk like that into a big pit out behind the garage. It's never been dug up, but there's a few odds and sods on the surface (including bed irons, half a bike, and various lawnmower bits). I did spot a nice old glass power-line insulator which now sits on the shelf in the office.

Oh, I found the wheel hubs in the woods to go with the tractor steering gear. I'll blast 'em soon as I get my compressor back up and running and see how well they clean up, then paint them if they come up OK; they'd make nice heavy door stops for the garage doors :-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

We're in an early Victorian suburban terrace, but waste disposal was pretty much on the same basis - burn it and bury it!

NHH

Reply to
NHH