veg oil fuel

Half the info on veg oil in deisel engines sais it will ruin it, half sais otherwise, has any one got an old vintage deisel running on it as proof, something like a CS ?

If i could build a small generating set running on free chip shop waste oil, i would be a happy man. Basically i'm as tight as a nuns knickers.

Reply to
Motor

"Motor" wrote (snip):-

There was a CS at this year's Kew Bridge Steam Museum stirling engine show running happily on vegetable oil with no mods other than coiling the fuel pipe around the exhaust a few times. I chatted to the chap and he assured me that fuel pump, injector and timing were all standard.

Reply to
Nick H

Nick, was that you at Lamport this weekend ignoring me!.

Mart> "Motor" wrote (snip):-

Reply to
Campingstoveman

"Campingstoveman" wrote

Well, I was there on Sun. but didn't see you, and let's face it you are pretty hard to miss ;-)

Reply to
Nick H

I have been doing a lot of research on this topic, and I am confident that I can build a reliable (long term) system. My interest is primarily 'environmental', not economical. I want to generate electricity using renewable fuels (rapeseed oil), and waste cooking oil.

I have just converted a large-ish (20hp) chinese yanmar-copy, single cylinder diesel genset. I will be putting this up for sale (at cost) so that I can do the same with an Indian Lister.

One day I hope to make a business out of this, but for now, it is academic and 'environment preserving'.

Let me know if you want to know more.

Mark

Motor wrote:

Reply to
Mark Walker

This guy is called Ken Boak. He's a very nice man. Hopefully he will be coming to Onslow Park. He is the owner of the wastewatts yahoo discussion group, which is a very interesting forum

is currently investigating running this engine on wood gas, using just a small amount of waste veg oil to ignite the gas and maintain the correct speed.

Mark

Nick H wrote:

Reply to
Mark Walker

"Mark Walker" wrote (snip):-

I didn't realise that was Ken, who I know well from his work with the Stirling Engine Society, but clearly not by sight!

Reply to
Nick H

"Mark Walker" wrote (snip):-

As a closet greeny, yes please!

Reply to
Nick H

This reminds a little of what I have read about the early days of the Caterpillar Diesel. Everyone seemed to think these engines will run on anything - and they will - but not for long. Cat had all sorts of problems in the early years, if I remember correctly this gave impetus to arriving at country-wide standards for diesel fuel. I am away from my books at present, but this is the way I remember it.

Reply to
Peter Short

Hi there, I say it can and does, I run my Lister CS 6/1 on 100% WVO, it creates heating and power for my house!

If you want to find out the truth take a look at my work here

Motor:

knickers.

Reply to
Homebrewpower.co.uk

Could you advise how long you have to run the engine to get a full tank of (household)hot water, and how much electricity the engine is generating (if it does) while doing that?

I cannot see any belt drive off the engine, so what does the engine do while it is running?

Peter

Prepair Ltd