W.J.Craven "Hydraulux" pump.

Picked this pump up from Thirsk on my way to Scorton Rally on Sunday. Interesting beast and hopefully plenty of information on the nameplate for one of You "Retro-Aviation" bods to give it some history. The guy I picked it up from seemed to recall that it was originally fitted with a Villiers WX series engine. There is what appears to be a "starting-handle socket" type pulley on the "back" end of the drive shaft. It appears to have been used for pumping oil so is in excellent condition inside. It ain't arf heavy!!! Pictures at:-

Charles Hamilton

Charles,

Wonder if there is a family connection with our man in Exeter :-)). Looking at it and assuming it is a fairly high pressure pump I would think that the Villiers wouldn't have the grunt. Coat of paint and its ready to rally.

Reply to
campingstoveman

There is quite a bit of hefty gearing down. Assuming the plate is correct its orginal use is stated.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

What an interesting beast!

Has anyone here got a WXII & can measure the footprint to see if it corresponds. It would look good perched up there.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
kimsiddorn

A WX has a distinctive 3 bolt mounting pattern which would not suit the holes on top of the pump. Also IMHO the pump looks too modern to have had a 1930s engine fitted. Lovely thing though, and will make a nice display, bet you can squirt water a fair distance with that!

Regards Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden

Reply to
Charles Hamilton

Found this little bit info:-

"(9) Craven & Co Ltd, W. J., Evesham, Worcs (Evesham 2631) Craven Hydralux two-ram, twin-plunger pumps, driven by a !=95=A3 h.p. Villiers four-stroke petrol engine, are supplied trolley-mounted to airlines and other operators for ground defrosting. Fluid delivery is 4gal/min, at a pressure adjustable up to 4001b/sq in. Accessories include suction and delivery hoses, spray guns, lances and extensions, and double nozzles.

Reply to
mark

Found this little bit info:-

"(9) Craven & Co Ltd, W. J., Evesham, Worcs (Evesham 2631) Craven Hydralux two-ram, twin-plunger pumps, driven by a !?£ h.p. Villiers four-stroke petrol engine, are supplied trolley-mounted to airlines and other operators for ground defrosting. Fluid delivery is 4gal/min, at a pressure adjustable up to 4001b/sq in. Accessories include suction and delivery hoses, spray guns, lances and extensions, and double nozzles.

Reply to
Charles Hamilton

Reply to
Charles Hamilton

hi charles i have just aquired a hydraulux triple ram pump on trolly powered by a jp engine ny a jap engine any information on this would be most gratefull thanx clive

Reply to
cliveconstable