Wikipedia - Maytag flat twins

I've never seen one, rarely seen a Maytag single (Kim's shed?), but I understand there's also a Maytag flat-twin.

As Wikipedia is currently doing its usual thing of flailing around in the dark, those knowledgeable in the ways of the flat twin would be valuable over here at present.

As usual though, expect the Wikipedia editing experience to be less rewarding than Usenet in an alt.* group at the start of the school holidays...

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Ah got one (so ISTR has Kim)! Often called the model 72, though I think that really refers to the magneto. It is throttle governed by a cunning little centrifugal device built into one of the crank webs which occludes the inlet tract (rather than the MarVil-like hit and miss ignition cut out of the singles). There is loads of info on the web - I'm surprised wiki is struggling.

NHH

Reply to
NHH

Ain't that the truth! I had a crack at the Scott pages, then someone marched in with all the authority of the sort of 'encyclopedia of motorcycles' one might pick up at the local garden centre and scrapped the lot. I managed to convince him that the stationary engine section with ref to the Gallimore articles in SEM was worth keeping, but gave upon the rest. As for the Stirling engine pages - I have a reasonable library of authoritative texts (Martini, Walker, Organ etc), but apparently 'books are not considered to be reliable references'.

NHH

Reply to
NHH

I do have a Maytag with fins at either end ;o)) but I don't know much about them except that it doesn't start very easily nor does it run for long when it is going!

However, I thought I could helpfully offer some insights into balancing flat engines .....

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
kimsiddorn

Awaiting "citation required" tag. Wikipedia doesn't like input from anyone who actually *knows* anything about the subject.

NHH

Reply to
NHH

That's why I just don't touch broad-scope articles where the coffee table books get dragged out.

It's worth remembering though, that none of this stuff is really "lost", so long as you keep a bookmark (or a date) to that old revision. You can always retrieve it later. For engineering too, there are quite a few active editors who do have a clue about real content.

It hasn't been a good week though

Now when we get a new editor who's actually an engineering historian, WP seems to have treated them so badly that they've turned to the Dark Side and gone mad

Andy Dingley

Maytag models here

's a good design, just unusual and therefore easily maladjusted. The twin cylinder model will not start unless the air valve is set 1/3 turn open. Once started, open the valve another 1/2 turn for running. To stop the engine, open the air valve a full turn or more, this prevents flooding. The coil windings short out when one of the plug wires is removed without grounding. Spark plugs often fouled. Use hot plugs. The check valve at the base of the fuel pick-up tube must be free. The air horn base must be vacuum tight, they often leak due to the old varnish deteriorating. Same with the top of the fuel pick-up tube. In good condition the engine starts easily and runs very smoothly.

Reply to
bw

I've always been led to believe that Wikipedia is about as useful as a chocolate fireguard for accuracy about anything.

Reply to
campingstoveman

Disagree. Wikipedia should certainly not be taken as 'gospel' but as long as you are aware of the nature of the beast it can be an excellent resource.

NHH

Reply to
NHH

--Contact the EDGETA: Early Days Gas Engine and Tractor Association. I've seen many strange Maytag engines at their outings.

Reply to
steamer

Hugely variable.

is now probably the best English-language resource on the aircraft ever written.

Be suspicious of the ones where, "everyone gets to play".

Reply to
Andy Dingley