Big Decision Time

Hi, I am about to start my first layout in 'n' and am torn between going continental or staying uk. On the one hand I fancy continental due to the lovely Fleischman and Roco ranges, on the other hand I fancy staying UK as it has more sentimental value.

Whichever I choose is going to be a costly investment so any thoughts would help me.

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey

British mechanisims have generally been rubbish up until GF production moved to China. European mechanisims have generally been excellent since the 1960s. (with some obvious exceptions)

Reply to
Gregory Procter

I would agree, I just started playing with a Fleishmann set and so far I am impressed. Up to now (since the late 1970s)) I have been modelling UK outline, the only problem I have had is dire quality locomotives which is deeply frustrating. I am now looking at using continental engine mechanisms with home made British outline bodies for a 1920's 'light railway' layout. This is less than ideal, my preferred period is early BR for which I have a lot of rolling stock and buildings etc, but I am going to wait a while to see how things go before investing any more money in British outline engines.. I am also getting some US outline together, again to see just how reliable they are, I do rather like the idea of reliable auto coupling as I am getting on a bit and my eyesight is likely to become a problem with an uncoupling tool. The Fleishman uncouplers work perfectly, although not with old Lima stock (havent tried other makes yet) but they do not offer delayed uncoupling.

Reply to
Mike

You really shouldn't blame Fleischmann for the lack of quality of old Lima!!! 8^)

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Cheers Guys,

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey

Re British outline - Diesels are definately better than steam outline in my experience, that is bogie types, the 08 shunter uses a rigid steam type chassis. Peco track works well and meets everyones basic specs the Fleishman track has very tight first and second radius curves (7.5 inches and 9 inches) which Bachman says their British N stock cannot handle.

Reply to
Mike