Can You Identify This Train

I was wondering if anyone could identify the model train on my website

It is live steam, fueled by methylated spirits I'm told it belonged to my grandfather with places it in the first half of the 20th Century The tracks are joined by metal clips (one is shown between the straight and curved rail) There are no identifying marks that I can see It needs a a good clean and restoration but I have not touched it in case I do more harm than good

Any idea what it is - make, model, date and possibly whether it is worth anything?

Cheers,

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Heather

The message from "Nigel Heather" contains these words:

The track is very similar to the track used for Hornby "O" gauge, and the track-clip is identical to the ones I used to use.

Hmmm! I can remember everything being stamped with the "Hornby" mark, but perhaps the early stuff wasn't trade-marked. OTOH perhaps it was Bing or some other continental make.

I can't comment about the loco...

Reply to
David Jackson

"Nigel Heather" wrote

Have the look of Bing or possibly Carrette.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

A 2-2-0. I wonder what the protoype was?

Reply to
MartinS

A photograph from a early Hornby catalogue :-)

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Probably a 4-6-2

:-)

Reply to
Brian Watson

The message from MartinS contains these words:

An 0-2-0 has a much more definite "prototype". Was it running at Warley? Or was it Manchester...?

Reply to
David Jackson

The message from "Brian Watson" contains these words:

Ah! Somebody else who has seen a Hornby O-gauge Flying Scotsman. I always reckoned that somebody at Binns Road got their oceans mixed-up. (the model was a 4-4-2 [Atlantic] instead of a 4-6-2 [Pacific])

Reply to
David Jackson

Adams "Fairfield" steam rail-motor on the Bristol and Exeter was an

0-2-0 with a 4-wheeled carriage.
Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

The message from Christopher A. Lee contains these words:

That's not the prototype I was thinking about... ;-)

Reply to
David Jackson

Not exactly the same

but down the page something similar
"Bing "O" gauge, "Stork-Legged" Live Steam Locomotive and Tender. Circa

1925. Maker's mark imprinted on boiler front. Finished in the Midland Railway's Crimson Livery for the English Market."

This one is a much closer(Carette) in varying conditions

Yoda

I assume you refer to the Far Twittering and Oysterperch Railway?

MartinS

The message from MartinS contains these words:

That's the one! Absolutely brilliant contribution to the Festival of Britain in 1951 (the prototype) and a fascinating model - not just to watch, but to watch the faces of the audience.

Reply to
David Jackson

The Rowland Emmet railway and cartoons came with two different names.

Far Twittering and Oysterperch.

Also Far Tottering and Oystercreek.

I always assumed this was because a publisher owned the copyright.

The Festival of Britain Railway was Far Tottering and Oystercreek.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

The message from Christopher A. Lee contains these words:

You're obviously *far* older than me. I didn't go to the Festival, although ISTR passing near to the site while it was in full swing - possibly on my way to Folkestone? - and wondering if it was in the programme for our holiday. It wasn't.

Reply to
David Jackson

There were two sites, the festival proper, on the South Bank, and the Festival Gardens in Battersea Park.

The railway was in the park, and lasted after the festival was over.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

The message from Christopher A. Lee contains these words:

Presuming that we travelled from London Charing Cross, it would have been the South Bank bit that we saw from the train: Skylon(?), Dome of Discovery, etc. Wasn't 70004 parked down there as well? I remember the place we stayed at in Folkestone was beside the line which led down to the harbour... ;-)

Reply to
David Jackson

The Skylon, Dome of Discovery etc, yes.

One of the things that fascinated me was the huge kaleidoscope built in the old shot tower.

We used to have an allotment next to the WCML between Kenton and Wealdstone.

I remember seeing 70004 William Shakespeare being pulled past it dead, on its way to the Festival, and my father telling me all about it. It was in a special finish, which my memory tells me was highly polished brown.

One of the interesting things about the Festival is that London Transport laid some new in-street tram track to extend a route to reach it. This was the strange "buried 3rd rail" conduit system, probably the last time any was built in the world.

Christopher A. Lee

Thanks very much - that Carette looks almost spot on.

Cheers,

Nigel

Nigel Heather

"Christopher A. Lee" wrote

It was Brunswick green, with a bit of extra spit and polish. :-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner