COMMERCIAL: Photo auctions on ebay ending today.

Hi all,

I have a selection of photos from my collection for auction on ebay. If you are interested then take a look at

Railcar 20 at Port Halt CDJRC, 30851 at Southampton Docks 1954, C14 30589 on the Town Quay Southampton 1956, Rye Harbour and Golf Links station on Rye and Camber Tramway, London Road shed Carlisle 1966, Olney loco shed

1950, Parkhead shed Glasgow 1951, Tanhouse Lane shed Widnes, Potton No1 signal box, Sible and Castle Headingham signal box and station, Penshaw North signal box, Potterhanworth Signal Box, Reading South signal box, Salisbury GWR signal box, Presteigne signal box and station, Walsingham station & signal box 1959, Burnham on sea station + 43734 1960, Chilworth & Albury station 1964, Langwaithby station 1964, Penistone station 1947, Portsmouth & Southsea High Level station, Riccarton Junction & DMU, Richmond station 1957 and St Boswells station 1955.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Stevenson

We saw this the first time, thanks.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

"Paul Stevenson" wrote

Read the group FAQ - repeated postings of advertisements are NOT appreciated.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Read the ebay rules: spamming auction items on newsgroups is not allowed and can get you banned.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Paul's postings are not repeats - each one is a separate batch of photos which, IMO, (as an occasional customer) is acceptable.

Reply to
Peter Lawrence

I agree completely. It's also a bit much to describe Paul's postings here as "commercial", given the low unit cost of the items he sells. I see nothing "commercial" about a private individual disposing of his collection of railway photographs. It would be different if Paul was operating a business.

Reply to
Bruce

Paul's photos are in themselves extremely useful pieces of information. It would be mean indeed to ban them,

John

Reply to
John Whitaker

Thanks Peter and all.

I think that adding uk.rec.models.rail, I thought the photos would be useful to modelers, has upset some people.

I would rather put FOR AUCTION in the title of my posts but that also caused a stink but no one was unhappy with COMMERCIAL.

Odd!

Paul

Reply to
Paul Stevenson

Yes, I agree.

But there is no shortage of mean and spiteful people here. :-(

Reply to
Bruce

The two postings were identical, for the same photos.

Straw man. No one on uk-r-m-r described them as commercial?

Another straw man. No one suggested banning them.

Nor, from your post, is there a shortage of idiots.

No

Reply to
Man at B&Q

They certainly are useful and no one was upset by the original post. It's the *repeated* posting for the *same* items in a new thread within two days that is he issue.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

You should have gone to specsavers.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

You should have gone to specsavers.

MBQ

Just a minor point. :-)

Could your continual mention of a certain DIY store in your headers and sig. be counted as spamming?

Paul

Reply to
Paul Stevenson

snipped-for-privacy@j4g2000yqa.googlegroups.com...

Dunno, but it's a good question :-)

If you're old enough to remember the Man at C&A adverts you'll understand my nickname. I have no connection other than as a customer, but I tend to shop at Wickes these days. B&Q has gone too "lifestyle" for my liking.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Perhaps you should insert "COMMERCIAL" at the start of the subject line in every one of your posts to uk.railway. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

Dunno, but it's a good question :-)

If you're old enough to remember the Man at C&A adverts you'll understand my nickname. I have no connection other than as a customer, but I tend to shop at Wickes these days. B&Q has gone too "lifestyle" for my liking.

MBQ

=================== New Wickes opend here a couple of weeks ago, all excited thought would visit as wanted lots of bits and pieces - esp for new dremel. one isle of real hardware stuff, all home brand. Thats my last visit.

cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Don't knock the Wickes own brand stuff, especially their power tools, many of which are made in Germany by the same firm that makes them for Bosch. I've also bought a lot of timber and plumbing fittings from Wickes, and have always been 100% happy.

What's the alternative? Go to B&Q and pay well over the odds for branded Chinese-made rubbish? You have to be joking!

Reply to
Bruce

Massey in Woodville. Family shop, been around for years, know what theyre talking about, always ready to help/order stuff, got more shelves of proper hardware than 10 Wickes, professional to amateur tools(but no cheap crap), nails and screws by wieght - not packs of 5, prices better than most DIY's. Eat your heart out superstore lovers :-)

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

That's great if you live in the area.

I have a hardware store about eight miles away that offers much the same selection, but I cannot really justify a sixteen mile round trip for something that Wickes stock, just because it's slightly better or the people selling it are nicer. But I always visit that shop when I'm in that particular town, and I rarely leave empty-handed. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

I on the other hand live in a town on the northumberland coast which had one hardware shop. fifteen years ago they where a proper hardware shop with nuts and bolts sold singular in all sizes (metric, whitworth, unf etc), nails by pound, copper tube by the metre etc. But then decided to rationalise, to sell items in prepack bags made elsewhere (china), reduce their stock by three quarters and due to their monopoly they then charged 2 to 3 times the price of the b+q / wickes 8 miles away.

Two years ago a homebase opened locally and this shop has now gone into terminal decline, they seemed to have forgotten the 2 rules of business :-

  1. if a customer perceives quality, then he may not mind a premium.
  2. If a customer is given the choice of two equal crappy items, he will always buy the cheapest.
Reply to
Andrew Carr