Controlling DCC from computer?

I (or rather my children) have a Hornby DCC railway set. You'd think this would be ideal for controlling from a computer, but it appears to be rather expensive...

The "Select" controller provided with the set has an RJ-12 socket for connecting to other controllers, and apparently uses XPressNet, which runs over RS-485. The "Elite" controller, which has a USB port, costs about 150 pounds.

The computer I'm planning to use (a Mac) doesn't have a serial port, and USB-to-RS-485 converters appear to also be ridiculously expensive. Furthermore, the JMRI website implies that the connector on the "Select" may not be fully compatible with other manufacturers' equipment.

Is there a cheaper solution? Are there reasonably-priced compatible controllers from other manufacturers?

As for software, it appears that JMRI might work, but I wouldn't mind writing my own.

-- Richard

Reply to
Richard Tobin

why not go usb > rs232 then rs232 > rs 485

usb to rs232 are cheap (2-3 quid on ebay)

rs 232 to rs 485 are also on ebay for around a fiver

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Carr

Have you looked at Loconet (Digitraxx)? See:

and:

But the costs of computer-DCC interfaces and associated software will be high, because it's not exactly a mass market. Keep in mind that most DCC users want it because it makes locomotive control feel more hands-on. They don't want a computer interface. That preference also reduces the market for what you want.

OTOH, if you do write your own software, you should find a ready market for it. Because of Apple's mania for total control, there's little Mac software beyond the basic stuff available.

HTH and Good Luck, wolf k.

Reply to
Wolf K

Basically, no, the Select is a "toy" product.

The "Elite" is at the typical entry price for a proper model railway product, though other makers offer far better designs (the ergnonomics of the command structure in the Elite is terrible). Also, support in JMRI (and other software) is not as good as that for mainstream control makers (eg. Lenz, Digitrax, ESU, NCE).

Moderately cheap ways of computer control:

SprogII. This is a computer USB device. With the computer it can drive a modest layout, using for example JMRI. But you don't get any handsets (except via JMRI). Around £70. Hornby Elite (but I think its a poor choice), around £150. Digitrax Zephyr plus Loconet-USB adaptor, unlikely to see change from £200. NCE PowerCab plus USB adaptor, probably around £160-170 including the adaptor.

Build your own with MERG kits; the new CBUS based stuff looks promising, but the complete command station isn't ready yet. (The old MERG command station is antique history).

JMRI has support for various external throttles, such as Wii game controllers, iTouch/iPhones, arbitrary USB devices, etc. etc..

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

This looks like the kind of thing I wanted. I'm not concerned about using a handset at the same time as computer control.

But if I understand the web page

it requires a booster to drive more than one engine. Are there reasonably priced boosters available?

-- Richard

Reply to
Richard Tobin

You should be all right on a Mac with PR3 and JMRI. Been using a PC with Digitrax since 1999. You could try the Lenz adaptor for expressnet at

its USB so could work with Mac + JMRI combination. Try dropping them a line.

Chris

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Number of people are happy with Elite computer interface so dont dismiss out of hand. Its a USB connection. It requires a device driver - that is provided by Hornby for a PC, not sure about the Mac. I did write some software to control points and it wasnt that difficult.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

The PR3 isn't really capable of running trains on its own. (I have one, and I have a Sprog to compare against. If wanting to run trains, use the Sprog, or a proper command station).

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

About £100 for a booster.

The Sprog as it comes delivers about 1amp. That's enough for two or three OO locos moving simultaneously, though there are exceptions where an individual loco would over-load the Sprog.

( I did a test recently, running four small Scalefour locos simultaneously, and estimated I could get up to around a dozen before overloading the Sprog ).

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

Join MERG ! Model Electronic Railway Group.

.

They've either already done it, are doing it or will offer much advice.

Richard

Reply to
Dickie mint

Be careful joining MERG now.. My experience is that its a money grab thru subscriptions. You join now supposedly with a 12 month sub at £18-ish , and in April , they terminate that sub, telling you that a renewal is due as all subs start in April.. Complain and they send you an £8 'voucher' that can be used against purchase of their kits ( if thats what you want, and there is no alternative.) . They were still selling annual subscriptions at Warley NEC for £18 that last 5 months maximum, and denying that all subs are renewed in April...

Then the Treasurer suddenley doesn't respond to emails and letters ... Be warned.

Reply to
turbo

Nothing sinister at all. It's all clearly written in the membership details page :-

"Membership is currently £13.00 annually for members within the EU, there is also a joining fee of £4.00. The membership year runs from April 1st - March 31st. and a £1 MERG voucher is issued to new members for each expired month at the time of joining. New members also receive a copy of a recent Journal and any accompanying Technical Bulletins."

and

"The new members rates are shown in the following table. " .... " Rate for payment by UK cheque Rate for payment by Paypal Resident in Europe including UK £17.00 £18.00"

(Table doesn't copy in correct format in newsreader of course!)

A fast read of the exhibition flyer does not seem to contain reference to the £1 vouchers, which I will bring to the attention of the Treasurer. Although this is on the website and would be automatic.

And I think that membership details would be very clearly spelt out by those on the stand at Warley, or any other exhibition.

I must say, with no connection whatsoever to the committee, that I have been a member for many years and consider it an absolute bargain. You get much more information, cheap kits, a website, forum and as much advice as you want for what is after all just 5 months of one model rail magazines. And those mags contain very little information!

The OP will get much FREE advice and access to cost only kits.

And I'm sure that the current Treasurer would be mortified to hear of your complaint re emails. Mind I too would ignore any that were spiteful or rude!!!

Richard

Reply to
Dickie mint

: Be careful joining MERG now.. : My experience is that its a money grab thru subscriptions. You join now : supposedly with a 12 month sub at £18-ish , and in April , they terminate : that sub, telling you that a renewal is due as all subs start in April.. : Complain and they send you an £8 'voucher' that can be used against purchase : of their kits ( if thats what you want, and there is no alternative.) . They : were still selling annual subscriptions at Warley NEC for £18 that last 5 : months maximum, and denying that all subs are renewed in April... : : Then the Treasurer suddenley doesn't respond to emails and letters ... Be : warned. :

Someone or some people will end up answering to a small claims court, if not trading standards, if they are not careful, *if* they are trying to pull a stunt like that!

Reply to
Jerry

Peter Ayre was the treasurer, and I joined in cash at Warley 2008 ( Nov

2008 ) with NO mention that it was for four months, It was spelt out many times , by several on the stand it was for TWELVE MONTHS subscription. By February 2009 I am getting emails saying I need to fork out another £17 ( from memory) for the membership for the next twelve months. I emailed Peter Ayre , with an explanation and asked why? This is the email I received back

------------------------------------------- Hi,

According to our records, you have yet to renew your MERG membership for

2009/10.

If you have paid your renewal. you may either be, one of the unmatched payments, an error in the database, or a payment in transit. Please contact me so that I can investigate.

If you are intending to renew but have yet to do so, please ensure I receive your payment by 30/06/09 in order to maintain your membership and to avoid the additional £4 new member charge that is charged to lapsed members.

If you have decided not to renew, I would like to thank you for your past support and hope you have enjoyed your membership. If you have any feedback about your non-renewal it would be appreciated.

For all membership matters please email me at snipped-for-privacy@merg.info.

Best regards, Peter Ayre Merg Membership Secretary

------------------------------------------- I again emailed Peter Ayre , and received yet more copies of the same email.

This year , Warley November 2009, I approached the MERG stand and waited to be accosted to join. It didnt take long once I asked about the RFID display. I asked about membership and was told yet again the spiel about how it was £17 for 12 months membership. I rephrased the question several times , and NEVER once was it mentioned that it was till April 2010- and then renewed. I moved to the other end of the stand and waited for someone else to take up the 'membership' thread.. Again it was £17 for a full 12 months membership starting at the date of Warley. I walked away , but returned later that day , spoke to a third group of stand salesmen and was given the spiel again about it being for full 12 months. MY point is this - join NOW and you are paying £17 for membership till April this year - then its a renewal subscription.

No I didnt see the website , all very well to be wise after the event, I was at WARLEY NEC . There is life outside the web sites...

Reply to
turbo

"Dickie mint" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net...

: : Nothing sinister at all. It's all clearly written in the membership : details page :-

: "Membership is currently £13.00 annually for members within the EU, : there is also a joining fee of £4.00. The membership year runs from : April 1st - March 31st. and a £1 MERG voucher is issued to new members : for each expired month at the time of joining. New members also receive : a copy of a recent Journal and any accompanying Technical Bulletins." :

That is only acceptable if the voucher can be redeemed against the next years membership fee, the above suggests that they can only be redeemed against 'club shop' items...

*If* that is the case then they are acting almost like an (unlicensed) credit agency, how many must join after April each year and thus have money tied up in such a way! IIRC traders can't insist on giving credit notes, they *have* to offer a refund (either cash or via bank transfer) if that is what the customer wants. Looks to me that the MERG needs to modify their membership management arrangements.
Reply to
Jerry

Yeah need to use it in combination with command station and in MS100 mode rather than programmer mode.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Probably need Fusion or Parallels to run a virtual Windows OS on the Mac then.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

The only time there is a legal requirement for cash refunds is when goods purchased are faulty or not as described. In other circumstances a trader can refuse a refund or insist on an exchange or credit note. Most big name retailers these days go well beyond the legal requirements and will offer no questions refunds for a short period. Given the very clear description of the MERG membership terms I see no problem with issuing vouchers.

Now, clearly there is a situation, so far described from only one aggrieved persons point of view, where the volunteers on the exhibition stand may be giving out inaccurate information. That need addressing and any neccessary remedial action to be taken.

I suspect MERGs accountants and auditors have better grasp of the situation than the man on the clapham onmibus, so to speak.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Annual subscriptions, taken for new members part way through a year, are normal in all sorts of fields (*). Join part way through the year and you get a renewal after a few weeks/months at their annual renewal date, and no discount/refund for the part-year. Some organisations do operate an "overlap" date, where joining say, 2 months before the year end, will get you 14 months membership, but that costs the existing members money in subsidising the new member for 2 months.

Quite frankly, for most small/medium societies, a rolling membership date would be administratively difficult, and probably impossible to get volunteers to run the arrangement; an annual renewal results in six-eight weeks of intensive work and then its all done for another year.

It is important that prospective members should know how things work, and misrepresentation should not happen. I've no idea what MERG told "turbo".

(* my own list of organisations with the annual renewal date, and thus charge a full year for part-year new members: two massive national charities. my professional (work) society, costs about £150/year to maintain registration my partner's professional society (a different one) several model railway societies a national cycling club. There may be a few more I have forgotten about. )

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

It's not quite as simple as that.

You need to consider the data format as well as the electrical interfaces.

The simplest way is to buy the Lenz USB to XpressNet adapter, but I offer no guarantee that the Hornby kit will play properly. I know ZTC equipment had or maybe still has issues with XpressNet compatibility.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq