Crime or misdemeanour

Got fed up with trying to stop kit built lnwr cauliflower from derailing on curve (2nd radius). Perhaps should have used a slimmer motor and driven of rear wheels cos centre drivers have no lateral movement at all. Anyway filed centre drivers to be flangeless - is this a crime. Doesnt derail anymore.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

2nd radius curves is a misdemeanour, I refuse to hear the other... la la la ...

Greg.P. NZ

Reply to
Greg Procter

simon said the following on 13/08/2007 23:32:

What's "2nd radius"? I couldn't find a reference to that in the 1927 Railway Design Manual. Must be a new-fangled thing - I bet it uses FB rail as well :-)

As to the rest, I'm with Greg...

Reply to
Paul Boyd

In message , Paul Boyd writes

Second radius is a model railway thing, not a prototype railway thing.

In OO it is 438mm or, if you prefer, 17¼ inches.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

'curves is a misdemeanour' from a rivet counter ? Let he who is without sin ....

(smiley here)

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Methinks Paul was kidding...

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

"simon" wrote

Second radius is ok for train sets, not for a model railway (VBG) use! ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

It's not a crime in the eyes of God provided it's a Crewe-designed locomotive :o)

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I thought that only applied to Swindon?

Reply to
estarriol

Perfectly OK for most (all?) LNWR 8 coupled locos.

Kevin Martin

Reply to
Kevin Martin

The Cauliflower is an 0-6-0

An 0-8-0 wouldn't have a centre axle.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Yes I know that, just introducing a bit of humour ;-)

Like most of the other replies, trying to get models around 2nd radius curves (bends ;-) ), is rather expecting a bit much. But hey, its the OP layout, not mine.

Kevin Martin

Reply to
Kevin Martin

A lot of American 4-6-0s built for secondary railroads had flangeless centre drivers. These were also wider than the others:

Christopher A.Lee

Nail on two more wheels (one each side for prefernce).

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

I only count rivets when I'm installing them and I do have a visible circa "2nd radius curve" on my layout. (I can defend my use of that abobination if required) I also have three 2-12-0s and several 0-6-0s with _all_ flanges on the wheels!

Greg.P. NZ

Reply to
Greg Procter

What else do I do in 00 on a 6*4 practise board. Could either have a fiddle yard with 2" out and back or a set of ovals. Have you ever tried running in a new loco on a shunting layout ? Before it reaches scale 100mph its crashed.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Thanks for the inspiration - just compared wheel spacing with a hornby Jinty and theyre identical. Obviously should put traction tyres on the centre drivers !

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

well it was FB before I laid it.

CHeers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Rubber wheels would be even better!

8-]
Reply to
Greg Procter

Knock a wall down! At the design stage of my layout I had to make the decision whether to go around the walls of my 17' x 12' room (also computer room and workshop) or build a table style layout against one wall. The fact that I'm sometimes in a wheelchair sort of eliminates the advantages of a "walk around" layout so I went for the compact 16' x 4'6" table. It's

2'6" wide in the center woth "dogbone" ends. At one end the return curve is visible as you can have just so many tunnels before it becomes unbelievable. The visible curve has only 4' width to get around 180 degrees so it is a transition curve from about 6' radius tightening to 18" for about 45 degrees at the center. A low bluff and trees block the view at the tightest point. It's not ideal but looks reasonable and most of the baseboard can be reached one way or another.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter