DCC Socket

Threaded View
I would like to fit a socket to a loco which doesn't have one so that
subsequently the decoder can be changed easily. Anyone know a source of
suitable sockets?

Mark Thornton

Re: DCC Socket

Since the dimensions are electronic standard, look for a dual
inline socket made for ICs. I used to make my own plugs by that
method:

http://www.lokodex.de/mo/bilder/zephyr05.jpg

but nowadays I try to avoid the unnecessary contacts in my locos ;-)

--
Christian Lindecke
http://www.lokodex.de

Re: DCC Socket

The spacing between rows on the DCC plug/socket is 0.1", while the
typical spacing between rows on an 8 pin IC socket is 0.3". The Maplin
modular connectors mentioned in the other reply seem to be the other
solution, or perhaps butchering an IC socket.

Mark Thornton

Re: DCC Socket

have a look at
http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/browse/Module.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0552605138.1107208417@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccccadddkfdhlgicfngcfkmdgkldfin.0&cacheID=ukie&3284661290=3284661290&catoid=-77180251

Andrew Carr

Re: DCC Socket
http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/browse/Module.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0552605138.1107208417@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccccadddkfdhlgicfngcfkmdgkldfin.0&cacheID=ukie&3284661290=3284661290&catoid=-77180251

Unfortunately that session has timed out. Could you give the description
of the item.
Thanks
Mark

Re: DCC Socket

I've just done this in a Hornby cl90, adding directional lighting while I
was at it.

I used sockets I already had, but the following will do the job :

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=5348&TabID=1&source=15&WorldID=&doy=31m1

Cut 2 rows of 4 contacts from the above and solder into a piece of
vero-board (strip board), four strips wide and 4 or 6 holes long with the
contacts broken down the centre, either side of the two rows of four
sockets.

Drop me an email if you want to know more. I'm no DCC expert (beginner in
fact), so if I can make this work, anyone can!

Adrian

Re: DCC Socket

Further to the other replies dependant upon your choice of decoder some of
them have a socket fitted - not the one that plugs into locos such as the
Heljans but on the chip - this allows the chip to be replaced  without
rewiring, providing the new one has the same socket and connections, - some
Lenz chips have this for example.

--
DAS,

All opinions are mine and mine alone

Re: DCC Socket

Have you tried removing one of those plugs? It isn't easy on the
(broken) LE1025 I have in front of me.

Mark Thornton

Re: DCC Socket
Also some Digitrax and TCS decoders as well. And you can buy the leads
separately.

Chris

Re: DCC Socket

"Mark Thornton"  wrote

Whilst I can see where you're coming from Mark, why worry?  It's a simple
matter to solder & resolder four wires to add and remove a decoder.  One of
my Bachmann 08s has had four different examples installed in search of one
which worked to my satisfaction.

Having said that I accept that it becomes a more complex issue if lighting
or sound is installed.

John.

Re: DCC Socket

I recently had an LE1025E fail and was glad of the plug as it meant only
1 wire to resolder (all 4 outputs in use due to an Express Models
lighting kit).

Mark Thornton

Re: DCC Socket

Bromsgrove Models have the socket under their TCS accessories section

http://www.bromsgrovemodels.co.uk/pi1960803941.htm?categoryId=26

Mark Thornton

Site Timeline