DCC Socket

I would like to fit a socket to a loco which doesn't have one so that subsequently the decoder can be changed easily. Anyone know a source of suitable sockets?
Mark Thornton

Mark Thornton schrieb:

Since the dimensions are electronic standard, look for a dual inline socket made for ICs. I used to make my own plugs by that method:
http://www.lokodex.de/mo/bilder/zephyr05.jpg
but nowadays I try to avoid the unnecessary contacts in my locos ;-)
--
Christian Lindecke
http://www.lokodex.de

Christian Lindecke wrote:

The spacing between rows on the DCC plug/socket is 0.1", while the typical spacing between rows on an 8 pin IC socket is 0.3". The Maplin modular connectors mentioned in the other reply seem to be the other solution, or perhaps butchering an IC socket.
Mark Thornton

Andrew Carr

Andrew Carr wrote:

http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/browse/Module.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0552605138.1107208417@@@@&BV_EngineID ccadddkfdhlgicfngcfkmdgkldfin.0&cacheID=ukie&3284661290284661290&catoid=-77180251
Unfortunately that session has timed out. Could you give the description of the item. Thanks Mark

I've just done this in a Hornby cl90, adding directional lighting while I was at it.
I used sockets I already had, but the following will do the job :
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNoS48&TabID=1&source &WorldID=&doy1m1
Cut 2 rows of 4 contacts from the above and solder into a piece of vero-board (strip board), four strips wide and 4 or 6 holes long with the contacts broken down the centre, either side of the two rows of four sockets.
Drop me an email if you want to know more. I'm no DCC expert (beginner in fact), so if I can make this work, anyone can!
Adrian

Further to the other replies dependant upon your choice of decoder some of them have a socket fitted - not the one that plugs into locos such as the Heljans but on the chip - this allows the chip to be replaced without rewiring, providing the new one has the same socket and connections, - some Lenz chips have this for example.
--
DAS,

All opinions are mine and mine alone

David Skipsey wrote:

Have you tried removing one of those plugs? It isn't easy on the (broken) LE1025 I have in front of me.
Mark Thornton

David Skipsey wrote:

Also some Digitrax and TCS decoders as well. And you can buy the leads separately.
Chris

"Mark Thornton" wrote

Whilst I can see where you're coming from Mark, why worry? It's a simple matter to solder & resolder four wires to add and remove a decoder. One of my Bachmann 08s has had four different examples installed in search of one which worked to my satisfaction.
Having said that I accept that it becomes a more complex issue if lighting or sound is installed.
John.

John Turner wrote:

I recently had an LE1025E fail and was glad of the plug as it meant only 1 wire to resolder (all 4 outputs in use due to an Express Models lighting kit).
Mark Thornton

Mark Thornton wrote:

Bromsgrove Models have the socket under their TCS accessories section
http://www.bromsgrovemodels.co.uk/pi1960803941.htm?categoryId &
Mark Thornton

Related Threads