FGW Scalextric train

And, yes, I though "Scalextric?" before I watched.

Reply to
Graham Harrison

Can we start one of those "if it's only one vehicle is it technically a train?" discussions? Apart from that I'd file it under "quirky but charming". Some GWR fans will love it; others will splutter into their soup.

Sam

Reply to
Sam Wilson

Of course it's a train. A train is any vehicle or combination of vehicles that has authority to run on the mainline. A helper engine returning to base is a train (for example). So's a single unit railcar (for example). Authority is granted by timetable and/or signals and/or running order (train order). Nothing "technical" about this, it's universal.

So there! ;-)

Reply to
Wolf K

Universal - right. Some people might look at the OED[1] and see the words "series" and "connected" and think they don't apply in this case. :-)

Sam (not stirring it at all, honest)

[1] "A series of connected railway carriages or wagons moved by a locomotive or by integral motors"
Reply to
Sam Wilson

Brunel will be turning in his grave , it was bad enough when the 7ft and a bit gauge was abolished but that "model" has taken the insult too far.

G.harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Didn't the GWR bring in those single unit steam railmotors and diesel railcars?

Reply to
MartinS

Well spluttered, sir!

Sam