Info on Engines

I'm looking to gather some historical information on 2 of my older Hornby models. I'm looking specifically for info on the type of work they used to do etc. The first is an LMS 1000, Class 4P 4-4-0 Compound, Hornby Model R376. This is a tender driven model, and has major problems on my 1st radius curves, but is OK on the 2nd radius curves. The 2nd is also an LMS, 2-6-4 number 2312. It's a Hornby, made in England, but that's all i know about it. Like the first one, it also has problems on the 1st radius curves.

I'm also looking for a "complimentary" engine (looking to buy in March/April) that would work well on the 1st radius curves too, to work on the goods side of my railway.

Thanks in advance for advice/help, or even pointing me to where this information can be found on the web.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Cornish

The Compounds were top rank express locos through the '20s, relegated to second rank as Stanier engines came on stream in the '30s.

The 2-6-4T locos were used on heavy suburban/commuter trains and a variety of other shorter distance passenger workings as well as fitted freights.

The most common goods engine for the LMS was the 4F 0-6-0 available from Hornby, for shunting the 3F 0-6-0T from Bachmann. For heavy freights the Crab 2-6-0 from Bachmann or the 8F 2-8-0 from Hornby but these last 2 probably won't like 1st radius either.

Try Google searches on any of these loco names or just on LMS Railway. Keith

Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

wrote about his small fleet of locos & problems of 1st radius curves.

Ian,

The 1st radius curves will always give problems. It is because they are considerably tighter than scale and many recent model locos just wont go round them.

Older models had more *slop* in the wheelsets and could go round, although IMHO nothing looks worse than large tender locos doing so.

As recently Hornby have realised that most modellers these days are adults and demand a higher quality product the 1st radius curve is in a decline and perhaps will disappear off the market.

Remember, the 1st radius curve is vastly sharper than a real loco could possibly go round, certainly not at more than *dead slow* walking pace.

Kevin Martin

Reply to
Kevin Martin

It's not just 1 radius curves that are tighter than scale. Almost all of our curves are tighter than scale at least in OO unless perhaps your track is in a large garden (large that is by modern standards). The best I can do in the area I am permitted to occupy with track is < 600mm radius.

Mark Thornton

Reply to
Mark Thornton

I doubt you'll find any free ones, but you might find something to compl/e/ment your current locos.

Reply to
MartinS