Killing the goose

"simon" wrote

They've not been specific, simply saying that the new releases announced in the 2007 catalogue were planned to be released over the next couple of years.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

When I was at the Bachmann stand at Ally Pally, the indication was that the Standard 4MT Mogul would be at the end of this year, and the 150 Sprinters will be next year. I don't know about any of the other scheduled releases that don't yet have a date next to them on Bachmann's website.

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

I'm guessing the new LMS 4-6-0's are not high on Bachmann's list of priorities.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"kim" wrote

You'd think not, but our Bachmann rep called last week and suggested that they are going ahead with these.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I wouldnt, you can bet the ones Hornby are doing will be top on the list to the shops, the others will follow when convenient. Especially as late BR Scot will be down as the best seller of the lot.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

"John Turner" wrote

Anyone noticed that the re-tooled Hornby MGR hopper (with hood) priced at under £10 when released in 2005 (?) is now priced in excess of £17 in the

2007 Hornby catalogue. That's NOT what I mean by an attractive price.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Graham Thurlwell" wrote

There's absolutely nothing wrong with 90% of the range it's the quantity and speed of releases which is worrying.

I've got a significant number of Skaledale items 'put by' for my next planned layout, which will save an enormous amount of work. Each will of course be 'individualised' but that's about all.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I have no Skaledale stuff at all (or indeed any of such 'resin' (?) type models). Why? Partly because because I don't believe they look well designed or made (wonky windows seem to be a common problem), but also they look like bu**ers to get interiors into. I personally am keeping to the route of getting kits, bashing said kits, and learning to 'scratchbuild' buildings of prototypes that actually suit the locations I have an interest in (though a decent plastic kit of an LSWR-originated signal box wouldn't go amiss)

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

Precisely the point that I have been trying to make. If of course the local dealer no longer exists as he has gone out of business because the customer can only buy from the internet or a few suppliers then where will the new comner get information from. I rather suspect that model railways is a dieing hobby, over the long term. And judging buy the enthusiasm shown by my club to juniors it wont be long before it happens.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

"Kevin" wrote

Do you know they were saying that model railways was a dying hobby when I was a lad - and that was over half-a-century ago. Slot car racing was going to kill it completely, then computers, then playstations, but guess what?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

In message , John Turner writes

Add this to all other failed predictions in other fields, and all this means is that you should not believe anybody's forecasts for the future.

(I was going to add "... especially those issued by the government or religious organizations", but that would be politics and religion, so I didn't.)

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

If it isn't dying then why are so many model railway shops going out of business and why are so few youngsters coming into the hobby. Likening the hobby today with what it was 50 years ago is a red herring. Fifty years ago pretty well every boy had a model railway, how many have them now.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

garden

I take it all back. Model railways are obviously just as popular as they were 50 years ago, no shops are going out of business, every town has toy shop selling model railways and every boy has got a model railway, I think not.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

"Kevin" wrote

Model railway sales must be at least ten fold those of fifty years ago and the range of products available far in excess of that era. The retail sellers may have changed [1], and will again in the future, but the hobby itself is strong and sound.

[1] there were few (if any) model shops in the 1950s, with toy trains mostly sold in toy shops &/or others.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

And your evidence for that latter comment? Sure some model shops may be closing, but that's not the end of the hobby world, it's just that one has to source things in a different way.

Fifty years ago a few families had a train set, but most working families couldn't afford them. Model railways were all but unheard of. My first set cost my Dad over a week's wages, and he had a pretty decent job.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Let us not forget that most Hornby & Meccano products were effectively rationed, Waiting lists ran to months. The general trend toward short life products ( copying US [ in all respects] policy) led to poor quality products such as triang coming to the fore simply because they were available. Some of us had to wait decades before acceptable quality and fidelity arrived --- even then, I was not sure if it was a mellowing of my standards or simply failing memory.

Peter A

Reply to
Peter Abraham

In terms of value or quantity. OK so the 50 something baby boomers are indulging in now what they couldn't do 50 years ago. When they have gone who is taking their place. Look around any club or exhibition and the average age of members or exhibitors and it has to aroud 55. In the 60's the number one Christmas item must have been model train, bike or model racing cars. I doubt those make the top 50 now.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

I don't dispute that interms of take home pay model railways are a fraction of what they were, so are bikes and computers come to that. My evidense of younsters coming into the hobby. Look at club memberships, exhibitors at exhibitions and what my son's friends are into. None of them are into railways.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Right next to my grammar school, which I attended from 1954 to 1962, was Frizinghall Model Railways, run by the late W. Hubert Foster. The shop is still in business at the same location.

MartinS

Kevin,

From what I've read and heard, I believe that the starting modeller is now in his (normally male) late 30s into his 40s and starting to do what he couldn't do in his childhood and teen years. He is married and his children are leaving the nest, so he has the disposable income to spend. I believe that's the reason for the much higher quality of your average RTR models these days, because the user is much more discerning.

Jim.