Model Rail - Basic Techniques

2 page article in August Model Rail on how to paint (model) animals. Am speechless.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

What is good/bad about it? I've not seen it. IIRC years ago Railway Modeller had a debate on whether cows were black with white bits or white with black bits.

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

In my umble opinion,theres enough substance to fill a small paragraph,little of which is specific to the painting of animals.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

IIRC black and white cows are post war, pre war they'd be brown - I know this because of an article written by a farmer in (I believe) RM some years ago.

Cheers

Mike

Reply to
theothermikesmith

Milk cows are nowadays mostly Holsteins, which are black and white. But Jerseys, Guernseys, Simmental etc are also out there, and they range from reddish brown to brownish grey. Beef cattle are more varied, with black and red Angus, Herefords, Charolais, being among the more popular breeds thee days.

Search for cattle breeds of you want too see what all human ingenuity and patience had been able to create from the original wild animal.

Reply to
Wolf K

Suprisingly MR didnt mention any of that, but did suggest a book to buy. Now is that product placement :-)

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

We're not all experts. If we want the hobby to survive we need to bring on new recruits. Showing them things aren't difficult might help.

There is a very tenuous link between Hachette (who publish the "build you own oo village") that's just gone on sale and Bauer ((who publish Model Rail) and Rail magazines) so maybe there's some kind of cross publication support. Anyone bought or "Smiths read" the oo village thing? Does it mention Model Rail Magazine?

Reply to
Graham Harrison

I agree completely, and if thought article did anything to assist then wouldnt have said anything.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Product placement has been the MR raison d'etre for some time now. I've switched back to RM and not regretted it one iota.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq