MREx Poll 2005...

According to the latest update Southern Region subjects occupy the top five places so unless you want to see nothing but Southern Region models announced for the next two years it might be a good idea to get you nominations in as soon as possible.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

To where?

In message , kim writes

Reply to
Ian Birchenough

Click on the e-mail link in the left hand panel.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

And about time to, even the once forgotten LNER has caught up with the LMS and GWR, in the RTR (steam) market - a nice 'Q' or 700 class perhaps even a 'L', 'K', 'H' a rebuilt WC/BB, one of the 'E' 0-6-2T's or even a 'USA' class. Oh, and all that on top of an updated Schools !

Then we have all the nice EMU's, both pre '48 and post '48 vintage to chose from....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Well that wouldn't be difficult since many important LMS subjects are still not represented in model form.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

*cough* Claughton
Reply to
Enzo Matrix

And what if we DO want to see nothing but Southern Region models? The SR is the least well represented of the "Big 4" - a modeller of the 1930 -

1965 period of pretty much any location can find the stock that he needs RTR these days, although the LNER is still a little lacking, if you model the SR or BR(S) you are limited to Bulleid Pacifics, a Q1 and those BR Standards which are available.

John

Reply to
John Ruddy

As long as it's not the London-Midland region. Not every train was a passenger express.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

We are only allowed ten nominations each so I restricted mine to those which have a snowball-in-hell's chance of ever being produced :o)

(kim)

Reply to
kim

So Jinty's, Ivatt tanks, Fowler 4F's, Stanier 4P's were all passenger express types? And as for the Black 5, 8F and 2P....... Yes, the LMS does have a lot of Passenger express engines - it also has a lot of other types too!

Reply to
John Ruddy

What use is a push-pull locomotive without a push-pull coach set?

Who please makes a Stanier 4P?

Not an Ivatt Class 2 2-6-0 or a Stanier 5F or a Stanier 3P or anything else that carried a 2D shed code.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

If only the only thing the Southern modeller could complain of was the lack of a push-pull set!

My mistake, I meant of course the Fowler 4P from Hornby. Dare I mention the Fairburn 4MT ?

It wouldnt surprise me if Bachmann eventually got round to making an Ivatt 2-6-0 using their Ivatt 2-6-2 chassis. My knowledge of the LMS is not as great as I would like - which Stanier 5F are you talking about? Hornby produce the Black 5, and Bachmann the Jubille, so I cant think which loco you mean. As for not carrying the right shed code, I might argue that none of the Bulleid Pacfics produced by Hornby have carried the 72A code, but thats what renumbering is designed for!

Reply to
John Ruddy

I think the LNER is the least represented to be honest. Like John said a lot of the major LMS classes are already produced, as with most of the GWR types too, and the same for the Southern. As for the SR we have BOB, MN's, Schools, Q1s, Terriers, Lord Nelsons, N Class, plus the various standard classes that ran there, so they all have a good selection of 'modern' models to run, apart from the LNER. Of course there is a complete dearth of pre grouping models, and considering the amount of pre grouping locos that survived into BR days and indeed into the 60s, it is a big omission.

Reply to
James Christie

Oh come off it, you'll NEVER get all the loco's modelled in RTR, if you want odd balls or pre grouping loco's you're going to have to kit build (always have and always will, straightforward economics dictates that..), what were are talking about here is the means to build a basic set of RTR stock.

As Macmillan once said, "You've never had it so good".....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

I take it that you don't like Southern loco's then Kim ?!...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Unless he was thinking about the 2-6-0 5P tender loco ?

As for not carrying the right shed code, I might

You have to remember that some just want to open boxes and expect their every wish (read demand) to be granted.....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

In last year's poll I said I would settle for a Fairburn but would prefer the Stanier 2-6-4t

Not unless voters push for it. To me it's a nonsense that Bachmann are producing the Ivatt Class 4 instead of the Class 2.

It's the 2-6-0 of which 40 examples were produced. They wewre part of the scenery in the west midlands right up to the withdrawal of steam. I am told Bachmann is anxious to end prodction of the Jubilee and other split chassis types and do not necessarilly intend to replace it.

That isn't possible where I live since none of the engines which carried a

2D shedcode are currently available in RTR form.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I don't 'dislike' Southern types I simply have no interest in them. What matters here is what other readers like. I am second-guessing the reason that Southern-types dominate the poll is because Southern fans have been highly active in nominating them while fans of other regions - especially the LMR - have been too lethargic to bother to vote. Mind you, they'll be the first to complain when they don't get the models they want.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Actually, he never did. Macmillan was asked a question about 'falling living standards' to which he replied:- "I read in the latest surveys that more people in Britain are taking holidays abroad than ever before. There are more electric refrigerators and other apliances in British homes than ever before. It seems to me that some our people have never had it so good?". It was the Daily Mirror next morning which paraphrased the last sentence as "You've never had it so good!".

(kim)

"Leave the heavy cannons behind they'll slow us down" [General Custer]

Reply to
kim

"kim" wrote

Maybe the SR modellers are just more vociferous, but that doesn't necessarily mean that Southern products sell. It wasn't five minutes ago that Bachmann were jobbing out their class N 2-6-0 and the bloody non-stop supply of Bulleid Pacifics from Hornby are just shelf fillers.

God help us if the promised Southern emu materialises from Hornby and whilst I'm sure it will sell to some extent or other, it won't keep selling year after year like their 110 dmu does. Just wish they'd put a decent chassis under it! :-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner