New Bachmann releases

The problem with the Lima class 117 is that it has 2 DBMSs rather than 1 DBMS and 1 DMS.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

A minor technicality :-) Wonder if the cast resin conversion sides are still available?

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Looking in a bit more detail, see the 3F has a Johnson tender which makes a nice change. However the 7F will only be available in BR livery - bit of a disappointment for us LMS or SDJR fans. However quick check shows that despite being a fairly small class they were mucked about with by the time they got to BR which may explain limited livery.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

These locos only ever ran in plain black, regardless of ownership, so livery choice is extremely limited! Look on the bright side, they'll be easy to change to LMS livery!

If I ever get my kit finished it'll be finished in S&DJR blue livery - totally un-prototypical (unless you count the preservation scene) but fun!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

If only, (quick) look says replacement boilers were smaller than originals and modifications required to smokebox etc to fit. Still as John said its a nice change to have something in colour thats not green :-) Oh and I wonder what period of LMS for the 3F. Era 3 ? Does that narrow it down to one of 3, 4 or 5 livery changes.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Will the release of the new 3F put any old Tri-ang 3Fs on the market??? That particular model never made it here to NZ and I've always wanted one for my Tri-ang collection.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.Procter

Agreed, but a suburban DMU would still be preferable to a 'Cross Country' type, even if it isn't quite the right one

Reply to
Keith Patrick

"Paul Boyd" wrote

I wonder just how popular the 117 really was, or was it just the case that it was just one of only two dmus available in ready-to-run form? Many of those sold were used for kit-bashing to recreate other different units.

I've never really considered it good policy to re-tool an existing model when there are plenty of unmodelled locos/dmus etc which have not been tackled.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Jane Sullivan" wrote

I think the Lightweight dmu was quite unconvincingly modelled many years ago by Kirdon rather than Tri-ang. Not many people will even have heard of them, let alone seen one of the very crude models in the flesh.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

An even bigger problem is that it was retooled to make the Class 121.

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

Ah - that would be a bit of a drawback to my plan!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Yeah, but that's not a livery change - just detail change. There were basically three boiler combinations - 1914 original large, 1914 reboilered with small, and 1925 new build with small. One 1914 loco's smokebox saddle was badly corroded and had to be replaced with a new saddle to take the smaller boiler, whereas the other 1914 series had a distance piece. Then there were the tenders - Fowler or Deeley, with or without cab extension. Boiler fittings changed around as well. Oh yeah

- they originally had brakes on the pony trucks as well!

They were all black though!

Era what? Pre-grouping, post-grouping, BR, privatisation. That's nice and easy instead of using arbitrary numbers :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

My fault, said it was a quick look and misunderstood. So yes as theyre the small boilered ones and they existed in that form from quite early then will definiately get one and renumber.

But a sample set of liveries given by Essery shows Gold/Black insignia with

12" numerals, same colour with 14" numerals, plain straw insignia with 10" numerals and Yellow/Red with 10" numbers. Just a sample !

You missed out grouping, mere 25 years. Now I'm not a rivet counter and dont mind stretching things by a few years especially as things didnt change overnight but 25 years is going it a bit. As for pre-grouping, does that mean you can have Rocket piloting a Claughton :-)

cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

All on 7Fs?

Hey - why not?????

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Yep, Essery and Jenkinson list 28 variations of livery for LMS plain black, and theyre the standard ones ignoring individual works quirks.

Hot box perhaps :-)

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

I've just realised what you meant - "post-grouping" means after the grouping in 1923, i.e. the period you're calling grouping. :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Were all those variations really on the 7F?

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Not the 28, they just mention the 4 as a sample that they have confirmed. The number/letters colours changed through the LMS period although normally the numeral size didnt - more dependent on cab size. Section on the 7F's is quite modest in the book hence only 4 variations listed, Johnson 3F shows 8.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Of course, my mistake ;-)

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Perhaps it should have been "Grouped" or even "Big Four". ;-)

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.Procter