Old LIMA Service Sheets

Threaded View
Is there a site that has these available to download ?  Free ?

Re: Old LIMA Service Sheets

I must admit that I didn't know there ever were Lima service sheets.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk /

Re: Old LIMA Service Sheets

"Paul Boyd"  wrote

The basic Lima motor unit was universal throughout the UK range (apart from
the class 20s) consequently there was little need for service information.

John.

Re: Old LIMA Service Sheets

"Dragon Heart"  wrote

Personally I'd buy him locos which work properly, but at least with the old
Lima stuff you can pick them up for a song on eBay.

To remove the body from your Lima class 20 (from memory) you need to remove
the four loco buffers and the body can then be lifted off the chassis.

Not much underneath which is serviceable I'm afraid.  I think there's just a
cheap & nasty sealed can motor, and a bit of wiring.  You can replace the
Lima motor with one from Mashima (don't ask me which) and I think
Branchlines stock these along with replacement wheel sets.

John.

Re: Old LIMA Service Sheets
Thanks for the help John

Already removed the body and fitted decoder some weeks ago.

Branchlines say his Lima 20 requires :-

Mashima 18/30 motor (18 mm dia x 13 mm long)         =A311.95

2 mm bore flywheel                        =A32.95 to3.95

1=2E5 mm x 2 mm drive shaft                     =A32.95

With p & p it's going to cost about20+ to fit new motor etc.

Whilst the addition of a flywheel will improve the running the loco
itself is not worth20 is it !

Apparently there was an article using their products in Model Rail
from August 2002 called "Turbo your Class 20"

Some time prior to my return to model railways,  did anyone ever try
it ?

Re: Old LIMA Service Sheets

No, but I've still got that issue of Model Rail. E-mail me your postal
address if you want it.

(kim)

Re: Old LIMA Service Sheets

It will be once it has an improved mechanism :-)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk /

Re: Old LIMA Service Sheets

Makes the Bachmann one a bargain

Re: Old LIMA Service Sheets
Think you're right

The Bachmann 32-029 Class 20 diesel 20023 in Railfreight livery is
only36 @ Hattons and the 32-042DC D8101 BR green with DCC on board
is only50

Can I use a Bachmann DCC loco on a Hornby Select unit ?

Re: Old LIMA Service Sheets

Blimey - is that all they cost?

Forget everything I said about re-motoring the Lima model :-)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk /

Re: Old LIMA Service Sheets

Only for the one with the Railfreight livery with the hideous large logo.
The others cost a bit more but are still 15 less than my local dealer!

(kim)

Re: Old LIMA Service Sheets

"Dragon Heart"  wrote

Some are, but why not just buy a Bachmann class 20 which already has a
decent can motor, twin flywheels and four axle drive.

John.

Re: Old LIMA Service Sheets
@news.supernews.com:

I've got to agree, it is jaw droppingly powerfull and utterly reliable.

--
All the best,

Chris Wilson

Re: Old LIMA Service Sheets
50g2000hsm.googlegroups.com:

I thought that you ought not to use flywheels with DCC? ('Course I could be
misinformed)

--
All the best,

Chris Wilson

Re: Old LIMA Service Sheets
I think you are misinformed.

I have several US locomotives that came with DCC installed and they all
have flywheels.
--
Jane
British OO, American and Australian HO, and DCC in the garden

Fair enough.

--
All the best,

Chris Wilson

Re: Old LIMA Service Sheets
Yes but can I use a Bachmann DCC loco on a Hornby Select unit ?

Re: Old LIMA Service Sheets
@q3g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

Dunno ... I'm strictly "old money" at the moment, DC with isolating
sections galore. (Although this may change)

--
All the best,

Chris Wilson

Re: Old LIMA Service Sheets

"Feedback" decoders shouldn't be used with flywheels, well in theory at
least, as the feedback circuitry will windup (and vice versa) the
traction current until the motor does what it is told to do. It can't do
that instantaniously because of the flywheel momentum.

Greg.P.

Re: Old LIMA Service Sheets

I ran this train round my layout, flywheel-less tank loco, 45 goods
wagons, brake van, with the DCC set to feedback on. When it went down
the hill (30 feet of 1 in 75 or thereabouts) the wagons would start
pushing the loco and the train would accelerate until the feedback
noticed, and the loco would immediately slow down to what the feedback
thought the speed should be, resulting in some wagons derailing. The
only way to stop this happening was to turn the feedback off. A flywheel
in the loco would have been distinctly advantageous.
--
Jane
British OO, American and Australian HO, and DCC in the garden

Site Timeline