Old LIMA Service Sheets

Page 1 of 2

Is there a site that has these available to download ? Free ?

Dragon Heart said the following on 08/10/2007 02:12:

I must admit that I didn't know there ever were Lima service sheets.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk /

"Paul Boyd" wrote

The basic Lima motor unit was universal throughout the UK range (apart from the class 20s) consequently there was little need for service information.

John.

"Dragon Heart" wrote

Personally I'd buy him locos which work properly, but at least with the old Lima stuff you can pick them up for a song on eBay.

To remove the body from your Lima class 20 (from memory) you need to remove the four loco buffers and the body can then be lifted off the chassis.

Not much underneath which is serviceable I'm afraid. I think there's just a cheap & nasty sealed can motor, and a bit of wiring. You can replace the Lima motor with one from Mashima (don't ask me which) and I think Branchlines stock these along with replacement wheel sets.

John.

Thanks for the help John

Already removed the body and fitted decoder some weeks ago.

Branchlines say his Lima 20 requires :-

Mashima 18/30 motor (18 mm dia x 13 mm long)         11.95

2 mm bore flywheel                        2.95 to 3.95

1.5 mm x 2 mm drive shaft                     2.95

With p & p it's going to cost about 20+ to fit new motor etc.

Whilst the addition of a flywheel will improve the running the loco itself is not worth 20 is it !

Apparently there was an article using their products in Model Rail from August 2002 called "Turbo your Class 20"

Some time prior to my return to model railways, did anyone ever try it ?

Dragon Heart wrote:

No, but I've still got that issue of Model Rail. E-mail me your postal address if you want it.

(kim)

Dragon Heart said the following on 10/10/2007 00:11:

It will be once it has an improved mechanism :-)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk /

Makes the Bachmann one a bargain

Think you're right

The Bachmann 32-029 Class 20 diesel 20023 in Railfreight livery is only 36 @ Hattons and the 32-042DC D8101 BR green with DCC on board is only 50

Can I use a Bachmann DCC loco on a Hornby Select unit ?

Dragon Heart said the following on 11/10/2007 23:07:

Blimey - is that all they cost?

Forget everything I said about re-motoring the Lima model :-)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk /

Paul Boyd wrote:

Only for the one with the Railfreight livery with the hideous large logo. The others cost a bit more but are still 15 less than my local dealer!

(kim)

"Dragon Heart" wrote

Some are, but why not just buy a Bachmann class 20 which already has a decent can motor, twin flywheels and four axle drive.

John.

I've got to agree, it is jaw droppingly powerfull and utterly reliable.

--
All the best,

Chris Wilson

50g2000hsm.googlegroups.com:

I thought that you ought not to use flywheels with DCC? ('Course I could be misinformed)

--
All the best,

Chris Wilson

I think you are misinformed.

I have several US locomotives that came with DCC installed and they all have flywheels.

--
Jane
British OO, American and Australian HO, and DCC in the garden

Fair enough.

--
All the best,

Chris Wilson

Yes but can I use a Bachmann DCC loco on a Hornby Select unit ?

Dunno ... I'm strictly "old money" at the moment, DC with isolating sections galore. (Although this may change)

--
All the best,

Chris Wilson

Chris Wilson wrote:

"Feedback" decoders shouldn't be used with flywheels, well in theory at least, as the feedback circuitry will windup (and vice versa) the traction current until the motor does what it is told to do. It can't do that instantaniously because of the flywheel momentum.

Greg.P.

I ran this train round my layout, flywheel-less tank loco, 45 goods wagons, brake van, with the DCC set to feedback on. When it went down the hill (30 feet of 1 in 75 or thereabouts) the wagons would start pushing the loco and the train would accelerate until the feedback noticed, and the loco would immediately slow down to what the feedback thought the speed should be, resulting in some wagons derailing. The only way to stop this happening was to turn the feedback off. A flywheel in the loco would have been distinctly advantageous.

--
Jane
British OO, American and Australian HO, and DCC in the garden

Related Threads