Replacing the armature in an X03/X04 motor

Has anyoe out there ever successfully replace an armature in an X03/X04 motor? How easy is it to open the motor up and then when the armature is replaced close it back up so that it is solid again? Do you need special tools.

I am reticent to try it in case I damaged a working X04 motor.

Reply to
SquiddlyDiddly

"SquiddlyDiddly" wrote

Someone offers a rewinding service, so it has to be possible.

Use a non-working one in that case.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Thanks for your straight talking John

Andy

John Turner wrote:

Reply to
SquiddlyDiddly

Can't add much to Greg's explanation, other than when I did it, I heated up the worm screw on the end of my soldering iron for five minutes or so and it drops off the shaft due to its expansion.

BTW, Can you still get 5-pole armatures for the X04?

Reply to
jasper_goat

Hi,

It's an easy task.

- remove motor from loco. (rear screw to chassis)

- remove worm. I hacksawed a slot in a piece of steel weight from a Lima wagon. Slide the hacksawed slot behind the worm. Drop motor in a good solid engineer's vice with the jaws closed to just before they touch anything.

- Use a suitable sized pin punch (2mm(?)) to punch the shaft through the worm.

- catch the motor before it hits the floor. =8^)))

- remove brushes.

- remove the magnet screw/nut and then the magnet. It's worth while to mark the way around the magnet is mounted with a felt pen.

- ease the pole pieces apart so the the back bearing plate lifts out of it's slot. This involves a very small angular movement of the front plate which results in a faint overall looseness.

- watch the washers spacers etc on the shaft, these vary depending on age of the motor.

- armature out - new armature in. Again, depending upon age/production run not all armatures are precisely the same length over the motor part. less/extra washers might be needed. If the two end plates bind the armature then reduce the thickness of washers. If the armature slops back and forth add washers. (preferably brass or plastic)

- reassembly is the reverse of disassembly.

If the magnet is out for any length of time (days, not minutes) it may require remagnetizing. This is best done in the assembled motor.

If the front plate is sloppy after this, it can be retightened by placing the motor on the magnet end and gently peening the end tabs of the upper and lower pole pieces. It's not particulaly good for the magnet, so that might want remagnetizing afterwards. If you add a twist to the motor (front bearing plate angled compared to the rear bearing plate) you've either mangled the motor or someone has already been there before. Loosen the magnet screw and gently twist the motor until both plates are visually aligned - for more precision apply a small voltage to the motor and adjust the alignment by ear. The motor will spin best when the alignment is correct.

If any of the above isn't clear just ask.

Regards, Greg.P.

NZ.

Reply to
Greg.P.