Shunting

I have a Hornby "smokey joe" and an (anachronistic) Lima class 09 and a couple of other miscellaneous small locos and they all have the same fault: they run at express speeds flat out and are hopeless at shunting pace.

I suppose I have a few options, one is to replace the drivetrain in one with a much lower geared one; another is to find a proper shunter; or I could buy a kit. What I need is something which gives good slow running performance under DCC, and I'm guessing that means a can motor and a low-ratio gearbox but I am open to any suggestion anyone might have for a sound slow-running RTR model suitable for a steam / early diesel LNER layout.

Guy

--

"To every complex problem there is a solution which is simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote

I guess you've bought from the toy end of the market Guy. They are certainly some excellent low-geared shunting locos out there if you know where to look. Some I'd recommend:-

Bachmann & Hornby 08 diesel shunters Hornby J94 0-6-0ST Bachmann Jinty 0-6-0T Bachmann 8750 & 57xx 0-6-0PT Panniers Dapol/Hornby 14xx 0-4-2T

are the ones which immediately come to mind.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Does the Dapol/Hornby 14xx run better than the Airfix version? That seemed to have an odd arrangement of pick-ups that didn't work well.

Steve

-- Dr Steven Noble Admissions Tutor Department of Mathematical Sciences Brunel University UK

Reply to
Steve Noble

"Steve Noble" wrote

Yes, the Airfix version was a real dog. Dapol revised the pick-ups (credit where it's due) and Hornby appear to have simply remanufactured to Dapol's spec.

Got to say in my experience, the Dapol models tend to be slightly better than the later Hornby version in terms of running qualities, whilst the quality of finish of the loco bodies is much better from Hornby.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

How about the Hornby Terriers.....mine all are great slow speed locos! cheers Gene

Reply to
Gene

My Terriers are all great as well, even over double slips, except number 2! Rob

Reply to
Rob Kemp

"Gene" wrote

They're ok, if a tad noisy.

There were not deliberately omitted from my original list, which just included locos which quickly came to mind.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 00:54:13 +0100, "John Turner" said in :

Thanks, other comments also duly noted. I think I was suffering from having bought cheaply on eBay (who would sell a good slow-runing loco after all?). On the plus side, I paid next to nothing for most of them and have been able to fettle my Deltic using the motor out of one I bought for a pound :-)

Guy