smoking ban

The governments ban on smoking in all public places was passed last night, so no more kettles!!!!!

As far as I am aware there is no smoking in exhibitions as it is, there will not be from the time the ban takes effect anyway. But will this effect clubs in others ways? Does your model railway club have a no smoking policy for members already? We had a no smoking policy in our modelling and layout rooms but smokers, of which I think there were only about 5/6 out of 30 regulars were allowed to smoke in the hallway which has good ventilation. I guess now they will not be allowed to smoke indoors at all. I wonder if clubs will suffer from this? We share a conservative club, (not that it is particularly political from what I have seen) and if the club suffers and closes from members not attending, we could be out on our no 2 ends!

Reply to
Piemanlarger

If the experience in the Irish Republic is anything to go by there will initially be a small drop in the numbers using pubs and clubs which will be fairly rapidly reversed as non-smokers find the environment more acceptable. Smokers then began to drift back, but smoked outside the bars rather than within.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

In message , John Turner writes

And thus the number of people binge drinking increases?.....

Reply to
James Christie

"James Christie" wrote

Eh? I don't quite follow that.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"James Christie"

You must be a smoker looking for some pathetic excuse to justify your habit.

-- Cheers

Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

In message , John Turner writes

Well, more people attracted to the pub (allegedly), and Britain's culture being as it is, instead of getting smashed at home, they'll go to the pub and do it.

Reply to
James Christie

In message , Roger T. writes

Au contraire, I'm just making an observation. I've never understood why people get so heat up about things like this, to me ,it all seems so petty.

Reply to
James Christie

It depends upon whether yourr members come to the club to enjoy models, or whether they come to get away from the misses who won't let them smoke at home.

It may acctually increase the membership as people who, like me, cannot stand the stench of smoke, will now be able to enjoy their hobby without having to keep coughing all the time.

The real pity is that it is not going to come into force for over a year, what the hell was wrong in making it from now?

Alan

Reply to
Alan Holmes

"James Christie" wrote

Unless you're asthmatic like me!

I'm actually looking forward to being able to go to a pub and still able to breathe without resorting to my inhaler when I leave.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

In message , John Turner writes

Spend too many hours bunking steam sheds etc John?

LOL

Reply to
James Christie

"James Christie"

My apologies then.

-- Cheers

Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

"James Christie" wrote

Aye 'appen mate, or maybe it's the disiesel depots I bunked?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

As a reformed smoker (last time was 7:50 am on Monday 23 Feb 1986) I have to wonder how you are all going to manage, including asthmatics, with all these new Hornby smoke locos belching their way round the layouts.

Norman

Reply to
Norman

Our problem comes from the fact that we have premises owned by a private club. If that goes pop from smokers not attending we are out on the street!

Reply to
Piemanlarger

Hi Alan. Sorry to hear you don't enjoy your hobby at the moment.

So, prey tell us what Club your are unable to join because of the smokers.

DaS

Reply to
David Smith

In one pub I visited in Ireland, there were signs advertising "our smoking patio". It was a tiny enclosed yard with room for about 8 people.

All pubs, restaurants, etc. have prominent signs stating "It is illegal to smoke on these premises." Some have outside ash receptacles with a sign saying "Would my butt look good in this?"

Does the new ban apply in the Isle of Man? There seemed to be very little restriction on smoking when I was there last year.

Reply to
MartinS

I think John is correct. Here in the state of Georgia (USA) we have a ban on smoking in public places, which means everywhere except your home, your automobile and out of doors. You cannot even smoke indoors on your own property if it is a business open to the public. Smokers initially were screaming bloody-murder, but now things have leveled off and returned to normal. To the best of my knowledge there has been no financial ruin heaped upon the head of anyone or any business since the ban took effect more than a year ago. Protests were short-lived, and the smokers now go outside to smoke. Smoking is a drug addiction, and smokers will do anything to accommodate their addiction, even if it means going outside in the freezing rain, or snow and ice to smoke. But what they will not do is stay away from the places they desire to frequent. If the ban is universally and uniformly applied, smokers will find a way to cope.

Reply to
66class

"MartinS" wrote

The new ban applies to England only, but is following on similar legislation passed in the Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland and Scotland, with Wales expected to follow suit in the near future.

The Isle of Man has its own legislature and you may find the following of interest:-

John.

from

Political status The Isle of Man has the unusual status of being one of the British Isles that is neither part of Great Britain nor the United Kingdom. People born here are known as 'Manx', classified as British (as opposed to English). Despite the steady integration of new residents from other countries, some locals still refer to newcomers as 'comeovers' and England as 'across'.

Reply to
John Turner

Thanks John - I know that IOM has similar status to the Channel Islands and other protectorates such as Bermuda. IOM has its own banking system, although the banks are owned by Barclays, Lloyds, etc. IOM's biggest problem is that it is no longer a favoured holiday destination for Glaswegians and Liverpudlians, and Douglas has become rather seedy and run-down. The TT races and the financial sector are what keep it going, plus the railfans that come to ride on the vintage electric, steam and horse-drawn transportation. Guess why I was there?

ROI, on the other hand, has prospered through its Euro Zone connections.

Reply to
MartinS

In message , MartinS writes

Seedy and run down? I'd hardly have thought so. It's still in FAR better condition than your average British seaside town. The IOM is also one of the very few places in the UK which has a job surplus, i.e. too many jobs not enough people.

Reply to
James Christie