Soldering iron not as good as it used to be....

Several years since the 25watt beast was used owing to house move , but now building a small O gauge layout, and I find that the bit isn't as hot as it used to be. Now, at my age, I'm not as hot either, but I was wondering if irons, or bits deteriorate with age and usage. When soldering points, melting normal everyday solder on copperclad strip was slow. I use liquid flux and Carrs solder - cant remember which one, but I never had any problems 4 years ago, even when building a loco.

Regards ZD

Reply to
Zipadee Doodar

Usually a layer of oxide, which is an very good heat insulator, builds up on the end of the copper bit, where it is inserted into the casting that forms the heater. Take the tip out and clean the non -soldering end and the inside of the hole its pushed into. Make sure the copper tip is also a tight fit in there otherwise that will also give a poor heat performance...If its well worn in that area, its time for a new soldering iron. They are not expensive.

Reply to
turbo

In message , Zipadee Doodar writes

You could consider changing up to a higher wattage soldering iron (such as a 65 watt) Because there is more heat readily available you do not get the heat loss associated with lower wattage irons. This means that instead of having to hold the iron on the item to be soldered and risk damaging plastic parts the heat is only applied where it is needed for a short time.

I bought a 65 watt iron recently for less than £20 so its not expensive

Reply to
Mike Hughes

25 watt is borderline, even slight problems with oxide etc will impair its performance to the point where it's useless. For model work 40 watt is a minimum IMO.

HTH

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Probably the tip getting oxidised, you can buy tip cleaner, but be careful just scraping or filing the bit, most bits these days are plated to help prevent oxidisation and scraping will destroy the plating.

If it is well pitted and corroded then you have nothing to loose, file or scrape away, but in the long run you will be better off with a new bit.

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

"Wolf Kirchmeir" wrote

I've found a 25W iron to be ideal for wiring a layout, but pretty much useless for anything else. Gor general modelling work I find a selection of irons with different size tips is important, but the one I use most is 75W.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

the wrong places. The temperature controlled ones are the best to use. Maplins do some very reasonably priced ones.

Reply to
titans

Thank you all. A new iron it is then.

ZD

Reply to
Zipadee Doodar

You may not have heard but Maplins recently closed a lot of their retail outlets. I only found out when I went there to get some F-connectors.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

CPC (preston, 01772 654455) are doing a beautiful temp controlled one for £29 +vat at the mo... (can't remember the stock number... will post later if I find it). dial your temp all the way from 150 - 420... used mine last night to construct my N class 22 - very happy - was man enough to heat large areas of sheet, and delicate enough to solder the headcode panels to the front ends - very happy

unclewobbly

snipped-for-privacy@talk21.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Likewise I got a WELLER - WHS 40 Special (it's a low temp version of their standard soldering station 40-350 degrees C) from Expo

- look under power tools | soldering page 2. Bit pricy at £69 - it was on special offer when I bought mine it really is the the dogs thingies though.

No conection other than very satisfied customer

Reply to
Chris Wilson

found the item code for that one from CPC... here it is in their on-line catalogue. This is a sale item and normally costs an extra £15 so hurry if you want one. I think it is a superb iron, and for £30 is hard to beat.

I used this on my construction of two NS kits just recently. I am positive it was a major contributor to the overall construction making it so easy to control the solder without burning the flux away in 10 seconds.

The above was far more demanding than my earlier 22 but it was a joy to put together.

Reply to
unclewobbly