Wiring questions from a newbie

Hi everyone,

I'm about to start my first layout and have a couple of questions about wiring that I'm hoping your good selves will know how to answer.

What I'm building is an n-gauge table-top (literally on the dining room table for now!) layout using Kato Unitrack so that I can put it away. Track plan is roughly a 5'6" x 2'6" oval with a passing loop and sidings (same arrangement as Thurso but not a dead end....) - I might add an extra siding or two if I can afford the additional points.

Its a temporary set-up hence the Unitrack, the idea being that I'll move it onto a permanent board at some point later. Stock will be American which is coming on loan from my dad's more extensive layout - will shift to British (mid 80s Scotland is the rough idea) when funds allow.

So, wiring. I had been holding off for the Unitrack starter pack that supplies their own controller, but apparently there are problems making it work in the UK and MG Sharp have no idea when it would be available. Sooooooo:

  1. Is the Gaugemaster Combi controller reliable/suitable for small layout use? Plug in and play would be the idea.
  2. Anyone know about easy connections between it and the connectors that come with Unitrack?
  3. Would I get away with a single power feed for a layout this size? All the sidings are facing onto the mainline in one direction or another, so there's nothing on paper that would stop power feeding all tracks. One engine running at a time will be fine.
  4. I believe Unitrack points have motors built into them - can I power them off the Combi? It has an auxilliarry power feed for that kind of thing, but again I don't know how it'll connect to the Unitrack leads

Cheers Ian

Reply to
ianjbailey

Any power pack that supplies 0-12V controlled DC plus AC for accessories such as point motors will do nicely. Gaugemaster have a good reputation, but I haven't used any of their stuff for a couple for a couple decades, so can't advise on that model.

No. You'll have to cobble up something yourself.

Depends on how the points are arranged. Power must be fed to the heel of the points, not the frog end. Facing points must be isolated from each other between the frogs. You either do this yourself, or rely on built-in isolation and power routing on the points. Either way, this can create isolated electrical blocks, and hence the need for additional power feed locations.

IIRC, Unitrack points have built in isolation to prevent facing point shorts, but you'd better get more complete data on that.

"One engine running" isn't the same as "one engine on the layout." If you have two or more engines on the layout, and want to run one a time, you'll need isolating sections (electrical blocks.)

Yes and yes, the only problem being the connectors for the power leads.

Have another. :-)

Reply to
Wolf K