10018 rods

I got 250 pounds of 10018 rods from an old welder friends of mine. Im using them for odds and ends as i learn how to weld. im currently taking a class at a local university. I can't seem to find out what kind of amps i should use with them. Im using an old craftsman 230amp ac-dc welder.

-dave

Reply to
thatguy

I think I have one of those welders . It's square , gray has a low and high range and has a handle on top that makes about a half of a turn . If so use high range and follow the amp range for 7014 contact rod . High range will give you the longest duty cycle because you will be towards the lower amperage side of the dial . Keep the rods dry . As far as a setting for amperage goes . 1/8" probably maxes out at about

145 amps and minimum would be say 115 . You will have to adjust your heat to suit the thickness of material and type of joint . Outside corner would be less and inside fillet would be more . If the rod melts apart before it's used up or you burn thru the material then the amps are too high , If you have too hard of a time holding an arc or you get slag trapped in the weld then the amps are to low . If you have to turn the amps up so high to get penetration that the rod melts apart before it's finished then the rod diameter is too small . If you burn thru the metal even though the amps are so low that it's hard to keep an arc then the diameter of rod is too big .
Reply to
Lewis Edwards

Esab's E10018 info:

Hobart's E10018 info:

Watch the word wrap - both links are one line long.

-Rich

Reply to
Rich Jones

A rule of thumb on this is to take the decimal equivalent of the welding rod diameter and set your welding machine to that amperage to start.(ie 1/8 E7018 = 0.125 inch so start at 125 amps) This is approx the amperage setting, higher if you are welding on thicker mat'l and lower if welding on thinner mat'l

Reply to
onsite welding