$ 140,000 / year welding

The money sounds good, the hours not so much.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

"To Read the Full Story, Subscribe or Log In"

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

You need to learn to read WSJ via Google News.

- Open Google News

- Search for "The $140,000-a-Year Welding Job"

- WSJ article will come up first

- Click on it and enjoy

Ignoramus17946

I would be cautious about "production welding" as a career.

It is my opinion that the welding industry will be shrinking in terms of people employed, due to advancement of welding robots. There is really not much to setting up a welding robot to do production welding, and robots can work 160 hours a week with no overtime or medical insurance.

If so, most future welding will be repairs or one offs, and that cannot support employing as many people.

Ignoramus17946

Not much time left for a life. On the other hand, if he wanted a life and worked 40 hours a week, he'd make about 50k.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Thanks

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Robotics are taking over. Here is one laying large bricks. It looks like it still may take a human to finish the joints but a 15 YO with one good arm could learn to do that job:

David

Reply to
IdaSpode

I would expect a production robot to do it 10 times faster than in the video.

Ignoramus12261

I was watching it - likely normal mortar. Likely has proven years of life vs. the hot mix that cures fast but doesn't bite into the brick well.

Just consider doing that on a 20 story building or over a river..... Let the robot do that job...

When trains do it, these are tiny.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Eastburn