2-inch heavy wall weld test in 6G

Hello to all,

I recently found that somebody had received advice on passing a test with 2-inch heavy wall in a 6G position, any idea where I may find this information, or is anyone kind enough to send more my way?

Best wishes and Thanks,

Dylan

Check out http://groups.google.co.in/group/sci.engr.joining.welding?lnk=gschg&hl=en and search for '2-inch heavy wall 6G position'

Greg IP Journeyman Welding Examiner for Saskatchewan Apprenticeship

Prairie Metal Creations wrote:

which gets this message thread and a thank you thread about the advice someone recieved on this group.

not too promising.

on the other hand, there are some of us that like to know what the heck a 6g is, if the test is for the weldor or of the weldment, and if it is a written test or practical test.

heck, some of use would just like to know what tests are out there so we could whip up our own practice sessions if we ever decide to do such tests.

I am sure i am not the only lurker on this thread that would think so.

Tater: Welds are described by position they are done in and the type of weld. Most welding is a groove weld of a fillet weld. That is where the "G" comes from. Positions in plate go flat, horizontal, vertical and overhead. ... 1,2,3,& 4 A 1G pipe is rotated as you weld on the top. A 2G pipe is having the pipe standing vertical and you welding around. A 5G is a pipe horizontal only it is stationary unlike a 1G A 6G is the pipe set on a slope (45 degrees) Some of the tests also put a collar next to the weld so that you are restricted in your movement on one side. For a 2 inch wall thickness there would be a lot of preheat involved and it would be a long test with many passes. I did a 6G on six inch pipe and three inch pipe in the Eighties. I can remember the instructors comment to me as he showed my pass coupons in front of my wife. It went something like " Now you are ready for the big dollars out of town." I saw the look on my wife's face and I knew I would be an inside and Town guy for my career. :')) Randy ( House-trained but liking it)

Prairie Metal Creations wrote:

which gets this message thread and a thank you thread about the advice someone recieved on this group.

not too promising.

on the other hand, there are some of us that like to know what the heck a 6g is, if the test is for the weldor or of the weldment, and if it is a written test or practical test.

heck, some of use would just like to know what tests are out there so we could whip up our own practice sessions if we ever decide to do such tests.

I am sure i am not the only lurker on this thread that would think so.

Thanks for the advice, my test is on Tuesday, it is a practical test - if anyone has any other suggestions - the more specific the better - that would be really appreciated!