Latest threads in ⚡ Welding Forumsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Ranger 8
Hello all, I've got a Ranger 8 that stopped welding. Interestingly enough it wasn't while I was welding...worked fine the last time I ran it and didn't the next. But anyhow.... I tried the 115 volt...

Ali GMAW - defect rates - spray, pulse
Hi Plea for real experience information. Thicker Ali at above about 130A. Probably wire-feed-speed at or above 10m/min (394ipm) Thinking of marine-grade 5000-series Al-Mg, but experience of other...
1
1

auto darkening helmets
Hi there I dont know how many people on here are from the UK, but if you are you may like to know that Lidl are selling a very cheap auto darkening helmet. It's their own "Parkside" brand and it...
14
14

Welded frame passing safety inspection?
Hey all, I’m about to fix a few holes in my frame by welding and started to think - will such repair pass safety inspection? I mean there must be standards around such repairs in your...

Astro Plasma Cutter
Can anyone tell me how much this plasma cutter is worth?

UK users of disposable gas cylinders
I dont know if there's any UK users on here, but I would be interested to know what you do with discarded single use gas cylinders - the small ones which you buy in places like Machine Mart ... The...
4
4

How to Choose the Right Welding Helmet (2023 Update)
How do you know which helmet is right for you? Learn more about your options to help you make your choice!
1
1

Need advice for new Welder.
Hello Nice to be here. I am very new to welding. Got everything set up today and tried out the machine on some 3mm angle. I’ve never welded before. I just start with the manufacturer’s recommended...
1
1

Getting More First Minutes Out of A Flap Disc (2023 Update)
Yesterday I found myself cleaning up a bit of square tube in preparation for welding and later paint. It was outside, but in SW Arizona, that just means it has developed a small amount of protective...
25
25

50 Amp receptacle in barn with 50 Amp 240 Service?
Gentlemen, I have a barn with 50 amp 240 service. It now basically has lights and 120 outlets. Is it OK to add a 50 amp receptacle for a welder with the idea that I won't run the welder at full power?...
28
28

Ali-GMAW property loss high currents?
Hi there. Ali Pulse GMAW... I'm trying to interpret. I tried fairly identical fillet welds on 6mm (1/4inch) extruded 6082 (Al-Mg-Si) at 230A and "+9" on trim (as hot as it will adjust) - reporting...

Pushing my Luck
When I setup my shop I never figured it would be so full. It was just supposed to be a warehouse for my contracting business. I never planned on it being a machine shop or that I would actually learn...
14
14

Bob - spool-gun GMAW Al?
Bob LaLonde - sorry lost your article / posting You are using GTAW / TIG? You could go for GMAW / MIG? You'd need 200-and-something Amps and mid-20's volts (* 240 25) ;; 6000 ;; about 6kW at the arc...

Helium Loss
I've got a lot of 6061 scrap 1/2 inch thick and larger. I make a fair amount of shop parts out of the scrap. The tool racks on three of my machines are the "good" side up of lots of 1/2 inch scrap as...