7016 DCEN 5G root - photos - advice

Hi all - done this page with photos of my efforts

Any advice you can give to get me onward from this stage?

Particularly struggling with starting on the lowest sector - at the "5-30" / "6-30" position. Seems can never get a good 7016 root weld if not looking side-on at the weld (cellulosic keyhole you can do largely on sound(?)). Same problem at top - with all runs, don't get good result if not able to look down at weld. With Basic, need to see weld-pool to be able to tend it. How do you really manage this?

Richard S

Reply to
Richard Smith

I feel like I am reading letters from a parallel universe. I had no idea anybody still used 7016, and especially on DCEN.

I can't quite figure out why the whole 7018 thing seems to escape so many countries outside the US. The stuff really does work better than most other rods for structural and pipe.

I don't know of any welding supplier who even carries 7016 in the US. I believe you can special order it, but I can't think why.

I wonder what other nearly extinct rods are being used in other lands. Anybody out there using 7015 or 7026? Maybe some 6023?

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I just picked up 30 odd pounds of 7015 at a yard sale. 10lb boxes, un opened.

Says its Nuclear Reactor rod. Ive not run any of it yet.

Whats it good for?

Got a bunch..bunch of Hastalloy as well. Whats it good for?

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

How much you want for the Hastelloy? I'm not saying I am addicted to the stuff but,... I might be interested.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Ill check and see what I have. Lots of small brown sticks..shorter than regular rod and a bit bigger than 1/16" inch and then there are some cans of bigger rod.

Ive got a fair bit of rod

And really cant use all that much exotic stuff

Ill post a list. Your email address doesnt work.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Nuclear reactors? :-)

Reply to
Richard Smith

> ot5G7016.html

Ernie

As best I am able to tell you:

The 7016 rod used, "Filarc 56S", is reputed to have been developed in the 1970's to make Basic welds of oil-rigs for the North Sea manageable. Low-slag rod so not choking in slag at bottom of V-prep root, or somethign like that.

They genuinely do seem to run better on DCEN. Going for all following runs with 7018 - you need to be on DCEP. My Bohler EV50's immediately tell you if you forget to change polarity!

This is a standard technique over here. I was taught it recently.

Enlighten me on "the whole 7018 thing". What is it you mean by this?

Sorry but you will know - practice in N.Am. and practice here can be very different.

Richard S

Reply to
Richard Smith

Ill take a picture and post it on my webpage

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

snipped-for-privacy@stagesmith.com always works

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

The combination of 6010 and 7018 for open root pipe or just repair welds, is quite elegant and extremely effective.

Full pen 7018 just works. Sure, getting that initial root pass takes real care in a groove weld, but with practice it just flows.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I watched a guy do a piece of 3" schedule 80 using 7018 on an open root. He made it look simple, and it really looked like he was just sticking it in there with no perceptible arc distance at all. Ran around the whole pipe, and I was more amazed at the ability of him doing that with the pipe horizontal, and him keeping the right rod angle on a fast moving weld. It came out beautiful, and the inside looked like it had been Tigged walking the cup. Of all names, his name was Steve Allen.

Hey, Steve, if you're out there. Remember Reading and Bates and the old OS7?

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend.

Steve B

Crap..I forgot. Stroke moment...sigh. Ill have it to you before Saturday.

Gunner, also emailing reminder to himself...

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Hi guys - thanks very much for replies

Yes - and don't I know it! No point going there - here in UK all-Basic (7016/7018) coding is all that's valued.

Do you mean as in "it works reliably and that is that" or "you can just about make it work but it's always a close-run thing whether it works or not"?

So that's saying if you keep it in practice you can 5G root with 7018 reliably...?

"Steve B" writes:

So tell me about 5G root with 7018...

How widely is it used?

What rods do you use? (for instance, are my Bohler EV50's good for this?)

What Amps? What rod size?

Polarity - DCEP? I find 7018's object to DCEN. Whereas the "Filarc 56S" 7016's run just fine on DCEN and are meant to be used that way as was demonstrated to me.

You must always use absolutely linear run to avoid porosity when full-pen rooting with Basic (7016/7018)? - like what Steve describes seeing?

I wish I could achieve Basic SMA welds like what Steve describes!

Thanks again

Rich Smith

Reply to
Richard Smith

"Gunner Asch" wrote

Get yourself several colors of PostIt notes. They look cool all over the place, usually last long enough to remind you of what to do, eventually blow away, identify you as an old hippie or Rainbow Warrior or DeadHead, look cool as a tie died shirt once you have a bunch of them up, and, the best part is ...............

they're eco-friendly and bio degradable after a couple of years. In the meantime, they add color to the old hacienda.

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend.

Steve B

Just make sure not to use rust colored Post-It notes, as they blend with the environment.

Ignoramus28169

It's hard enough to find stuff right now in the rust pile. I can't imagine filling in any more space with something rust colored.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I mean it flows smooth and even, like butter on warm bread.

I have never tried open root with 7018, always ran the root with 6010.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Color specific - e.g. priority like the color code.

Then a color will mean something other than pretty. If you need quick notes and many of them that stick and come off - try the blue painting tape - there is a special kind as well and a sharpie pen to jot on it. Limited depth, but length is there!

Mart> d>> Get yourself several colors of PostIt notes. They look cool all over the

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn