8018 on mild steel

Hi,

Is there any problem using 8018 1/8 on mild steel in a pinch. Nothing criticial just general fab. Can I just use it like 7018.

Glen

Reply to
glensmith

It tends to run a bit nicer than than 7018. No reason you can't use it for general stuff, just be careful about cracking.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Cracking?

Gunner, with 200lbs of 8018. "At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Reply to
Gunner

8018 is meant for high strength steels like A514, and HSLA steels as used in bridges.

For materiel 1/2" or thinner cracking isn't really a problem, but for heavier materiel you have to be careful about welding on cold steel and allowing the steel to cool down too much between passes.

There are charts in my D1.1 code book on preheat temps and interpass temps for high strength rods like 8018, 9018, 10018, 11018 and 12018.

Again, for most small work it won't matter.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Whew...had me worried for a minute..all 4 cans I got I think...think are 8018. They are rusty, but I dont want to crack the cans to find out, until I need to.

Gunner