about Dura Fix Aluminum Rod

Hi,all. i just want to know some opinion about this rod .

sell $38.95 (1 ibs +stainless steel brush)and $6 for shipping. is that expensive?

Tensile Strength,lbs/sq. in. -----47000 is this okay for metal sculpture staff?

i am very new to brazing rod and gas welding. any information on gas brazing and gas welding rod would be appreciated.

thanks so much in advance.

Yoshi.

Reply to
yoshidesigns

All the low temp "miracle" rods for aluminum are just a high zinc alloy of aluminum. They do work, just like superglue, duck tape and bailing wire "work".

They are for when "good enough" is good enough. They have absolutely no ductility and I would suspect some serious galvanic corrosion if exposed to the elements.

I keep the stuff around just in case I need to just patch a hole in an aluminum tank, or repair a broken pot-metal piece.

I would never use it for a critical repair or anything even remotely structural.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Ernie, Thanks all the time... so your other choice of aluminum welding is mig(bigger power with

220v) with spool gun or tig ,is that right ? not oxyacetilane or stick flux core wire(messy ?) ? or do you know better brazing or welding rod?

thanks again. Yoshi.

Reply to
yoshidesigns

Ernie, thanks for the link on the allstate 31 brazing alloy. I am a refrigeration tech and we have tried all that we knew was available (with very little sucess). Also tried the epoxy etc. Will give this a shot. Small evaporators get replaced, but on say, a 12 foot display case they get pricey. The latest blow to the industry is the manufacturers are going to start shipping aluminum condensers. They always have on A/C units but have kept out of the commercial refrigeration. Due to economics etc. it is coming our way. If a customer has $20,000 worth of ice cream dripping out of the packages, it is a poor time to tell him you will order him a new condenser. We had best have a way to fix it. Thanks Lyndell P.S. Without you going to a lot of trouble, if you know the part number or style of this alloy the service techs use.......I would be very grateful for the info.

snip,

Instead of welding you can go with the very popular Brazing solution

Allstate 31 Aluminum Brazing Alloy is used extensively by refrigeration technicians for aluminum coolant lines. It works for a lot of other applications as well.

Reply to
Lyndell Thompson

Bob Engelhardt

thanks ,Ernie, are you taking about this one?

can not find exact item # like you mention that part # 311-65 for the Gold Coated Didymium II glasses and

Yoshi

Reply to
yoshidesigns

Thanks Bob, I found the "brazing aluminum tubing pdf and downloaded it. Lot of good info. Lyndell

Reply to
Lyndell Thompson

As I said their website sucks ass. Call them and ask a person.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

which one should i get ?#311-65 or #311-66 or do i need both ? how you distinguish to use?

thanks Yoshi.

Reply to
yoshidesigns

Cobalt is traditional, and works well. Didymium is usually used for glass working, but also works for this. I think the cobalts give slightly better visibility.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

i call oberon company and to ask item #311-65,#311-66 ,they said those are discontinued. then i tried other and found this

do you think of these? i email them and to ask both style but it seems they do not have cobalt one in glasses.

thanks Ernie. Yoshi.

Reply to
yoshidesigns

None of those say Gold Coated so I would not use them.

Here are some UVEX Cobalts, not gold coated but they do say they block the UV rays

For gold coated didymium, try these

Or these

Or these

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

:

for

Thanks Ernie how do you think of this? and can i use this for plasma cutting on very thin sheet and low amp?

Yoshi

Reply to
yoshidesigns

Those are the UVEX Cobalts I linked to. They should work for hot glass work, or soldering and brazing, since they cut the sodium flare from the flux, but for Plasma cutting they don't block enough visible light.

#5 gas welding glasses are fine for light plasma cutting. For heavy plasma cutting you want a welding hood with a #7 or #8 lens.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

:

rote:

1-65

thanks Ernie. So do you think TM2000 is best fit if i want shade #5 for thin plasma cutting and gas welding with better visibility and to cut the sodium flare and UV ? the reason why ask so much is,i already have welding helmet ,plastic goggle comes with gas welding torch,and i noticed i had UVEX goggle for platinum jewelry soldering,but did know it was UVEX ,however none of them is not good visibilty so that's why i think my last option will be TM2000??? because i need to see more clearly. how do you think?

Yoshi

Reply to
yoshidesigns

That almost made sense.

The TM2000 lens works. I have used it. I don't think it works better than the Gold Didymium or Gold Cobalts, and I don't know if it will work for light plasma cutting.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

replying to yoshidesigns, David wrote: We have been brazing 6061 thin wall aluminum (3/8 down to .035) for over 40 years with allstate 31 and now (ESAB) Super 31 - and we now find out they (ESAB) have discontinued the 1/16 rod and the 3/32 rod. But I just found out the dirty little secret. Super 31 is really standard 4047 and the difference between Brazing rod and TIG rod is (hold your hat) Brazing Rod comes in 12" sticks and Tig Rod comes is 18" & 36" rods. And the MIG wire comes as wire. I just took some .042 wire and rolled it to about .150 and it brazed just fine. So dont tell anyone

Reply to
David