About welders

Hi, it's the ABI Engineering geek again. ;-)

While doing my torch repair research, another thing struck me - I have an electronics background, and could fix boxes, if I have schematics and wiring diagrams, parts lists, etc.

I've noticed Lincoln and Miller mentioned a lot here - are these the only manufacturers, or are there others? I thought I could get a leg-up (if the boss thinks it's a good idea) by checking if the mfr's of these things have an archive of repair manuals, etc. for older equipment - not all of our customers have the latest and greatest equipment of their own; and it's generally older stuff that needs repairs.

So, is there anybody other than Lincoln or Miller that I should check with?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Though I don't seem to have the need to fix electric welders I have found that some of those four mentioned main players don't sell parts to me. Well all the parts I have needed I have had to find out the part number and then order it from the local welding supply which is part of a national chain which has an account with the supplier. You will likely run into this. You will have to open accounts with all of the places you will need to get parts.

You might investigate what it takes to certify welders. I am pretty sure in the aircraft work just about everything needs to be certified every so often. I am not sure what the point of repairing is if you can't certify.

I also think as for the gas apparatus in addition to needing a bunch of seat cutters, you will find most folks who have their stuff repaired just drop it off at the local welding supply place. You really should attempt to get an account with them and their satellite stores. I am kind of soured about sending stuff out after spending close to $100 to restore a dual stage oxygen regulator and it started leaking a couple of years later and there is no warranty on repair while the company's new stuff claims a lifetime warranty. I did take it apart and they seemed to install new diaphragms and seats and I can't figure out why it leaks, not a whole lot. If you play ebay you can likely get virtually new stuff someone sneaked out in their lunch box or from a defunct business for less than a repair job.

Fran

Reply to
fran...123