Aerowave

My local dealer tells me that my full featured Miller Aerowave is no longer being made. It's on the website but not in the 2005 catalog. I was thinking of selling it for a Dynasty as this thing is about as portable as a broken bus and parts are insanely expensive. I got it a few years back on a bankruptcy sale and it was fully loaded single phase, 240vac. and really has been good but when it gives me problems getting it to the shop is a nightmare and the bill is even worse. I just had a total maintenance done on it, replaced the torch, cooler, and caps. and a few other "questionable" parts. Any idea what the fair value of the machine is? it has the factory running gear, both the torch slider and foot pedal and it's been waxed every Friday along with the toolboxes and the rest of my gear I treat it all like gold. It looks like it just came off the floor of the showroom I have two service kits, the service manual, etc. It was made in 1997 (Nov) Any thoughts on a fair price? I plan on putting it on eBay soon. I'm in Chicago so being in the middle of the US and having all sorts of shippers helps I guess.

Thanks guys,

Rob

Reply to
RDF

Aerowaves are still the kings of Aluminum TIG, but there are newer machines out there. The Aerowave is inverter based, just in a really big box. New they list for around $8000, used and 8 years old, maybe $3000

-$4000.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Ernie, What advantages does the Aerowave have over newer inverter machines with similar feature-sets like the ThermalArc 185? (beyond the extra current available, of course.)

Reply to
trp8xtl02

The Aerowave isway way way beyond a Thermal arc 185.

The Aerowave has fully adjustable AC wave forms. You can specify every parameter of the wave form.

Comparing an Aerowave to a Thermal Arc 185 is like comparing a Rolls Royce Silver Cloud to a nice new Honda Accord.

Check out Miller's Aerowave page to understand more.

Ernie Leimkuhler

--Sooo why d'you suppose they aren't offering it in the catalog any more? What's Miller got that's close to the Aerowave, that they're going to continue selling? Can't afford it today, but some day.. ;-)

Reply to
steamer

It is still on their website. The full feature model list price is $10,500

The Dynasty 300DX is 90% as good at aluminum, but for aerospace shops the Aerowave is worth the extra money.

Machinist Inc. in Seattle has 12 of them. They are building aluminum robotic mini-subs for the Navy. The subs are used for minesweeping.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Is it really worth the extra $8k just so you can control the amount of current and time spent in both the DCEP and DCEN parts of the AC wave? Wouldn't it make more sense just to tweak it using the % balance control (for amount of current) on a normal TIG?

Reply to
trp8xtl02

Kind of the difference between a pair of scissors and a computer guided micro surgery laser.

Yes both will cut things.

Are they the same, NO.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I had a guy offer me 6k last night but I have to sit on it for a month while he secures the $ I have no problem but if someone beats him to the punch or trades me a Dynasty he's out. Now the tough part- I am using this to fabricate sheet metal and Alum. intake manifolds as well as repair cylinder heads and fab work for TAFC/TAD and other class pro drag cars. What would be a suitable replacement (Miller only- sorry it's a monogamy thing) What features outside of the spin the dealerships give? Honestly half of the stuff the Aerowave can do I never needed. I also wonder if there is a way to finagle a longer warranty.... The parts are killer after three years!

Thanks again guys, Rob

New for the season 2005- Top Alcohol dragster "Enjoy it- In memory of Indian Larry" first show- Joliet Dragway June 7th TAD/2074 If anyone is near Joliet or Chicago I have passes. contact me off-line. Popping it's cherry outside of dyno pulls that day

Reply to
RDF

The Dynasty 300DX is the most advanced, but it doesn't have the duty cycle or the raw power of a Syncrowave 350LX.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

In the long run do you think I'd fare better just keeping the Aero until the TCO/ROI is on the line, thus meriting a new unit?

Thanks, Rob

Reply to
RDF

You are the first person I have heard complain about the repair record of an Aerowave. The guys at Machinist Inc, who have 12 of them, did say that if they weren't doing so much aluminum, they wouldn't buy Aerowaves. But for Aluminum, they really are the tops.

There is another machine out there that I have really wanted to see in action, but it looks like Panasonic stopped making it. It was a high end inverter based TIG power source that blended AC and DC for Aluminum TIG.

There is a new generation of inverters coming out soon that should finally eclipse the Dynasty 300DX. Milelr really hasn't updated that machine in a whilke.

While the Dynasty does do a beautiful job, I don't like the duty cycle on it for heavy welds.

I don't understand why Miller doesn't off an extended warranty deal for industrial customers.

To answer your question I can only say that if you sell the Aerowave for $6000 you could buy a Syncro 350LX or Dynasty 300 DX with all the bells and whistles cash.

Both machines should work for you and are both tried and true designs.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I really would not "complain" it's the fact that I need to get my engine crane to load it into a truck, have the unit out of service for an unknown period of time ( avg. 2 weeks) I had the LCD go bad and the entire unit went in for PM and that specific repair. It sort of hurt when the bill arrived. A lot of the manifolds we make are 3/8" al. and I need all the duty cycle I can take so the unit does get a workout. I just wish it did not weigh close to 400lbs without having to dismount the cooler and running gear to get it serviced via the lift eye. If I had a dock I'd just wheel the whole thing in but that's a "to-do" when I build out the new shop. I had the board serviced and returned to me for a spare too. That was decent of Miller I admit.

Rob

Reply to
RDF

Is there any way you can rent or lease a Syncro 350LX to try out? If it works for you, then you could buy one.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Ernie & crew, I tried both the SD350 and the Dynasty. Not too bad but they both did not "stack quarters" as my big olfy Aerowave did. I blame this on my skill level and lack of time to really consider the time I had to test out the units and get a solid feel for them. I felt rather rushed for some reason. Out of the two the 350 definitely was more robust on 3/8" plate alum.-just a less pedal thing (IMHO) I think I may have jumped the gun here a bit. The Aerowave I have is more machine than I'll ever need and at the bankruptcy auction I paid $1,300.00 USC for it new, unused still on the wood pallet and the parts were in bags and boxes. Now that was the deal of a lifetime. I'm going to hold off selling it but still buy another rig and since the portability was an issue I think I'm going to lease a Dynasty and I already have a spare coolmate 3 I got on a barter deal. I really was surprised how easy the Dynasty was to program. I figured it would be a bitch as there were no simple knobs per-se. If I like it, I'll buy out the lease I still cringe at the price but you get what you pay for.

Thanks for your experienced advice, it is greatly appreciated.

Rob Fraser

Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL.

Reply to
RDF