Airco Heliweld V 250 -simple wireing request

I know some of you have this welder and I need to know what the input power jumper setup is supposed to be, for 240 volts. This one Im trying to get going, only has a single jumper, and I suspect its set up for 480 volts. The lable is missing inside the cover at the port side, rear quarter.

Thanks

Gunner

Political Correctness

Gunner

If it's similar to the 300A Square Wave, there is a set of terminals numbered 2-8

For 208V a jumper between 2 and 3 and a jumper between 6 and 7 For 230V a jumper between 3 and 4 and a jumper between 5 and 6 For 460V a jumper between 4 and 5

Hope that helps...

Reply to
Rick

It's an Esab welder and the manual *may* be buried here, but I've never been able to find a cross to the Esab model number.

You do know there's a full schematic under the top cover? I'm afraid getting at the terminal box on mine means moving a few tons of stuff, otherwise I'd take a look.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Ah? Really? Now thats way cool. I also picked up that CV-300 at the same time, and its marked Esab in small print also on both the wire feeder on a post and the case. Now to figure out how to cross reference...sigh

Thanks anyways. I believe another poster may have given me the info. Im off to give it a try. If you see a mushroom cloud..it didnt work..

Gunner

Political Correctness

Gunner

Cool! Ill go check it out now. THe fan runs very slow, and there is a single jumper between 4-5 IRC.. and it came out of a 460 shop..

Off to do the deed. Ill let you know

Gunner

Political Correctness

Gunner

The numbering sequence was off, but....its ALIVE!!! Muahahahahahah!!!

And works too.

I used a thin pair of junk jumper cables, hooked em up to the terminals, glomed on to a stick of 6011 and struck an arc on a test scrap..Sumbitch!..then I checked the dials..found em set at 250 amp range and the pot set to 100%...ooops.. Set it up at 100 amp range and 75%..ran a nice sweet bead on both AC and DC

I fixed the frozen Binzel cooler earlier today, just some spooge in the impeller. Ive got a spare WP 18 torch around here somewhere...so thats the next thing..see if the valves all work etc.

What is the deal with the "square wave"? There is no adjustments for background/foreground, pulse etc etc Just post flow and the usual remote contactor/remote amp control etc switches....and HF Cont/Off/Start.

The HF does work..made restarting an arc with that stick of rod, pretty nice

AC did sound like it had a "buzz" to it though..so something is going on with the squarewave portion..its apparently working. Interesting that it appeas to be a preset.

Ive got a Big Airco 300 squarewave machine, the one with the digital readouts, as my working machine. That wasnt made by Esab was it? Im pretty sure its not a Miller in disquise. Political Correctness

Gunner

Gunner: Try a DC rod on AC square wave. ( E 7018 or E 6010) The current is not running a sine wave and even though you are on AC the DC rods will operate quite effectively. Randy

[...]

R. Zimmerman