All my TIG beads on angle-iron are dull gray - help

I just got my first welder - Miller Dynasty 200DX. I am new to this. I took a 2 day class for TIGing stainless and have been playing on 1/8" thick mild steel flat bar (home depot stuff) at home. I started to get decent looking beads so I started playing with some 1.5" x 1.5" x 1/8" angle iron that I want to make into mobile bases for various garage tools. I cleaned all the mill scale off a piece and ran some beads for practice. All my beads on the angle iron are very dull gray. I can't seem to get even a dull shine on the bead on angle iron like I could on the 1/8" flat bar. The angle iron had a lot more mill scale, but I got it pretty shiny with a scotch brite wheel before trying to TIG. I had the machine set to 140A, 20 CFH Argon, 3/32 ceriated. I also tried more and less gas, and ran with a shorter stick-out, but still dull gray. Is dull gray normal for TIG beads on mild steel? If not, what am I doing wrong? Would a gas lens help this (I don't have that - yet).

Reply to
lens

scotch bright will not take off mill scale you need to sand or grind it off

Reply to
chopper

Whether your bead is shiny or dull, depends on several factors.

Just how clean your base metal really is.

How large of a weld you are laying down on a certain thickness of steel, which determines how much heat you are imparting into the surrounding steel and therefore how long it takes your weld to cool.

How effective your gas shield is.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I got some good gray beads on some of my stuff, 1/8 bed frame steel. Did not bother to clean the metal before laying down the beads.

xman

Reply to
xmradio