Aluminum Stick Welding with Lincoln Electric AC-225?

Threaded View
What I basically want to know is, is it at all possible to weld aluminum
with this welder?  I tried to weld a piece of thin guage steel the other
day, and at 40 amps I blew a huge hole in the piece of steel.  So, my
concern is, what would this welder end up doing to aluminum?  This is only
going to be a "once in a while" type thing, so I don't want to purchase a
ReadyWelder or anything like that.  I just want to know if it is possible to
stick weld with this particular welder.

Re: Aluminum Stick Welding with Lincoln Electric AC-225?

Yes it is quite possible to stick weld with that machine.

For thin guage steel, like 16 ga, you would need a 1/16" 6013
electrode, running around 30-40 amps.

Aluminum stick rod does work, but it is UUUUUGGGGGLLLLYYYY.

Definitely in the emergencies only category.

Re: Aluminum Stick Welding with Lincoln Electric AC-225?

I know I can stick weld with it, as it is a stick welder machine. :) Plus, I
have been working with it for a few months.

Okay, I will need to keep this in mind.  I don't know what I was using.
Probably 1/8" or something. :)

Well, as I said, it was just a question.  I don't currently have a need for
it, but in the event I came across free aluminum welding rods or anything, I
just want to know if it would be worth it to bother with stick welding
aluminum.

Re: Aluminum Stick Welding with Lincoln Electric AC-225?

only
possible to

When was the last time you used alu rod?

I get to use it fairly often on odd repairs and I think that modern alu rod
runs amazingly well, with a very nice appearance.

Is this something you have heard, or are you basing your comments on real
experience?

JTMcC.

Re: Aluminum Stick Welding with Lincoln Electric AC-225?

2 weeks ago.
1/8" Alstate Smoothcote

Ah see there you go.
The stuff we have at school is pretty old.
The smoke plume off this stuff will curl your nostril hairs and make
you wish didn't have a nose.

Well I tried it several times.
I was able to get a strong weld, but the welds never looked very
presentable, and penetration was variable.

I haven't seen anybody recommend a modern version, and everybody I have
asked about it has agreed that it is ugly at best.

What brand have you used that worked well?
I'll see if the local suppliers have some.
I am always willing to learn something.

Re: Aluminum Stick Welding with Lincoln Electric AC-225?
I have stick welded aluminum with the Miller Thunderbolt. It worked pretty
well.

If you are only making short welds or just a few welds you need to preheat
the aluminum. If you start out cold it leaves a big blob. Once it warms up,
it works fine. I used an OA torch for the preheat.

That one project was the only aluminum stick welding I have done.

Mike

aluminum
other
my
is
purchase
rod
real

Re: Aluminum Stick Welding with Lincoln Electric AC-225?

aluminum
other
my
is
purchase
rod
real

Pick one, my guess is there is one, maybe two manufacturers.
They usually say for cast alu. We repair alu stuff as it's brought to us,
usually it is cast but we get asked to patch tanks some times.
The welds look very presentable. Nothing ugly about them, we sell them with
pride.
This is field expedient work, that is in the course of our regularly
scheduled duties, someone will come up and say, "hey can you fix this?"
We say "maybe."
Grind it out, put some heat into it, and weld away.
Nobody that works for my little outfit does anything that can be classed as
"UUUUUUGGGGGGLLLLLLYYYYYY", or even "ugly", we don't alow it <g>.

JTMcC.

Re: Aluminum Stick Welding with Lincoln Electric AC-225?
you using DC+ or AC ??
alu
with
as

Re: Aluminum Stick Welding with Lincoln Electric AC-225?
DC+

JTMcC.

Martinello
the
So,
This
have
us,

Re: Aluminum Stick Welding with Lincoln Electric AC-225?

My particular welder is AC only.  Which is why I am asking.  I know OTHER
welders can weld aluminum, but it is MINE I am concerned about here. :) Not
that I need or want to be welding it.  I just want to know if the time ever
comes that something aluminum needs to be welded, if I can do it myself or
would be wasting my money purchasing aluminum electrodes.

Re: Aluminum Stick Welding with Lincoln Electric AC-225?
I was always under the impression that you needed DC Current to stick
weld Aluminium.The other problem is that the flux will absorb moisture
rapidly and once a packet is opened the rods need using quickly. Regards
Gwyn
--
Gwyn Phillips

Site Timeline