Brazing a car frame

I am contemplating building a t bucket. I have plans to build a frame out o f 2x3x 3/16 rectangular mild steel. I consider myself a "farm welder" I can make it hold, but it is not real pretty. On somethign like a car frame, I wondered for someone worried about their welding would brazing be better? W ould the capillary action be more "idiot" proof for lack of a better word? I have read brazed joints can be as strong as welded joints.

Again, just brainstorming right now and contemplating options.

Reply to
stryped1

A properly designed and properly executed brazed joint may well be as strong as a welded joint.... but note the word "properly".

But why not just get some 3/16" plate and practice up a bit so that you are sufficiently expert to weld the frame?

Reply to
John B.

At night class in the high school shop we bent our practice coupons between three pieces of scrap on a 50 ton hydraulic press, but Vise-grips and a bench vise will do for 1/8" steel. . I didn't start my project, a hydraulic bucket loader for my tractor, until my arc welds with 7018 would stand being bent double. jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I currently have a hobart 110 mig that can use flux core or gas. Would this be sufficient for 3/16?

Also, I can weld with it but have never done anything "critical". I have re ad alot about welding but have difficulty "seeing" from what I have read de fective welds such as undercutting, convex, concave beads etc. I do know wh at porosity is.

I also have a bobcat eng> I am contemplating building a t bucket. I have plans to build a frame out