Brazing Al?

Recently bought a heatsink which has copper heat-pipes brazed to aluminium fins.

Looks like the braze is brushed/melted on the copper, the fins are assembled, and then the whole is furnace brazed in an inert atmosphere.

First successful industrial braze of Al I have seen - does anyone know what they might be using as braze?

Thanks

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Peter,

You might want to look at Nocolok flux IIRC

. Not used it myself but have seen it mentioned as used in industry quite a bit for aluminium brazing. Other than that I have some 4047A rod (12% silicon) aluminium brazing/welding rod and Al welding/brazing flux so could run a test of trying to join Al and Cu with it and see what happens.

Reply to
David Billington

Here is another idea - maybe not brazing ...

Tin is a metal that both Al and Cu take into their atomic structure. It is used to 'solder' Al and Cu together.

Maybe there is a Tin process. :-)

Mart> Recently bought a heatsink which has copper heat-pipes brazed to > aluminium fins.

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Zinc also readily alloys with aluminum and copper . Aren't most of those lo-temp "welding" rods made of mostly zinc and tin ? Still , as with any aluminum welding/brazing/soldering process , ya gotta get past that oxide layer .

Reply to
Terry Coombs